Home Adobe Substance

Painter - What is the best way to Value Check / Grey Scale?

StormyBA
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
I'm working more with painter recently but am so far unable to find a good reliable method to grey scale my Albedo to check the values. It is fair easier to do this in grey scale then with colour.

In photoshop this is easily done by applying a black fill with the blending option of Saturation. This rips out the colour, shows the values and allows for quick editing. Being a layer it is easy to show and hide regularly.

The same method in Painter is getting some very strange results. A colour such as 255,0,0 is displayed as white but I'd very much expect it to be far darker in value.

Replies

• StormyBA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    A more visual example as I'm on my machine now. 

Both Substance + Photoshop are setup with the same layer stack.

In photoshop the black "Saturation" layer is used to pull out the colour leaving only the Values where as in Substance Painter the Black "Saturation" layer has just made EVERYTHING white. Even the floor which is grey anyrate. It seems very odd. 

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Display Settings > Camera Settings > Activate Post Effects > Activate Color Profile. Select "Grayscale".

There will be some minimal differences from the saturation trick in PS, but they're minimal. The downside: AFAIK it only works in Material mode.