Home Career & Education

Questions regarding modeling for video games

Hi all!

I have about 2 years of experience with 3DS Max and about 3 weeks experience with Substance Painter. I graduate with a degree in 3D arts and animation in March, but honestly, I don't think it has prepared me well for my chosen career. I've always wanted to make video games, so I have some questions:

Is there a certain way I should be modeling? A certain workflow? As in: should I be concerned with getting all quads on every mesh, or should I focus more on the forms and not worry about triangles or N-gons?

Should I completely master 3D modeling, solely focusing on that, or should I split my time between learning an engine and practice modeling?

Is the substance suite well suited for video game work flows? If not, what should I do? I have done traditional photoshop texturing, but I strongly dislike that work flow.

What engine should I start using/learning? I have been pointed to the obvious two: Unity and Unreal. I don't really have a preference as to either, but which one is easier to learn or has more documentation?

Should I try my hand at modding first? Any recommendations for games?

Do you have recommendations for tutorials that cover (from absolute 0 to 100) the entire work flow of making games? Particularly in the modeling to engine space, as I don't have coding experience at all. Free is absolutely preferred if possible, as I am a poor college student/ starving artist.

Figuring out where to go next has been a very frustrating process and I am worried I won't ever figure it out. I can't really find an answer out there. So, I thought I would ask around. Also, just general 3D art/ freelance tips are appreciated as well!

Sorry if this is not the best place to post this and thank you ahead of time!

Replies