Home General Discussion

occulus quest 2

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
got myself one for christmas. must say its great fun, never though it we be 'that' advanced. need to research the different kinds of formats/content
though as it seems to me at least the that the immersive 360 videos are much  better like 360 3d +
Been playing that apollo creed boxing game demo and bought the eleven table tennis game which is also great fun

physics is a bit weird on forehand smash/topsin, but they are apparently working on the tracking

got to look at one of my 3d scenes inside blender in vr which is awesome

one downside is the sponge on the facemask which gave my missus a horrible allergic reaction.

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    I am normally into VR and it totally works for me but I seem to have these phases where I catch motion sickness a lot, sometimes even just from watching someone else play a game. It's been years since I had an episode like that but just in time for my purchase of the heavily discounted Mirrors Edge Catalyst it's having a comeback. Faith is so close to be slipping in puke all the time....

Long story short - I hope you're not going to catch that or those VR goggles might end up on ebay real quick. ;)

• another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    despite Facebook, mandatory account logging in etc. which makes polls ; it is a great piece of hardware and about affordable to a first public / companies etc
    Can't wait to see any concurrence !

What do you play? If you're into shooters I'd recommend Onward :)
    Very interesting use of hand tracking on here: https://twitter.com/DennysKuhnert

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    That's a shame thomasp, the only time I get motion sickness is not where you would expect. For example someone was walking around seoul and the video was quite low res and had no proper stabilisation. that  upset my brain straight away and turned it off.

I have cricked my neck muscles though, pinched a muscle or something from sitting at awkward angles

But rollercoasters etc are fine for me, same as in real life i guess

@another caveman yeah the face book thing is a bit annoying, but we used an old account which we never use so it was fine
    we could not actually make new one for some reason

I like any kind of games really, but the really immersive ones are best, Onward looks cool, but might buy some boxing stuff to keep me fit during lockdown

love watching vr immersive videos too, like that borneo rainforest one, really cool

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    What was the price tag where you live?

Here in AUS, the cheapest is on amazon at $479AUD not that I'm going to purchase one anytime soon because miniaturisation hasn't kicked in enough, at least to the point of shedding a kilo off these things, personally when wearing a device for extended periods.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    think we paid £299 for it( for the 64 gb version)
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

love watching vr immersive videos too, like that borneo rainforest one, really cool

If you have the PC for it, (and xbox/ps controller), MSFS 2020 is a really a relaxing experience. :) (microsoft flight simulator 2020)
    It's 80cad$ on Steam or free with microsoft game pass I heard.
    Set on easy if you want to enjoy the view without too much struggle, it's a real pleasure.  And beautiful weather/clouds.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    sacboi said:
    "at least to the point of shedding a kilo off these things"
    The Quest2 weighs 500g, shedding off a kg would be quite a feat.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    another caveman - yeah i watch a lot of flying videos also, so might invest in MSFS at some point. so much stuff to try, but I had actually better do some work first :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The product page I'd linked above, states 1.85kg  or 1,850g though not to sound like a facetious nob but in my opinion I anticipate something similar although obviously not as lightweight to google's Glass in the foreseeable future, perhaps three hardware generations hence just by taking into account the current exponential rate of overall advancements in technology so again, yeah I think carving off one kilo entirely doable?!  
  • lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    sacboi said:
    The product page I'd linked above, states 1.85kg  or 1,850g though not to sound like a facetious nob but in my opinion I anticipate something similar although obviously not as lightweight to google's Glass in the foreseeable future, perhaps three hardware generations hence just by taking into account the current exponential rate of overall advancements in technology so again, yeah I think carving off one kilo entirely doable?!  
    The 1.85kg is for the whole package (the box is probably around 1kg alone as it is pretty sturdy). The headset alone weighs 503g
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I have been looking into getting a VR set, and this one does looks promising, however the whole issues with facebook and their involvement, including lose access to your content if you cancel/lose your facebook account is a non-starter for me. Plus I absolutely doesn't trust what they do with the information or what changes they might make later on.
    Saw another VR on youtube recently when looked really good, however the pricetag was way too high. Gonna have to wait for another set instead.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed said:
    Yeah, I have been looking into getting a VR set, and this one does looks promising, however the whole issues with facebook and their involvement, including lose access to your content if you cancel/lose your facebook account is a non-starter for me. Plus I absolutely doesn't trust what they do with the information or what changes they might make later on.
    Saw another VR on youtube recently when looked really good, however the pricetag was way too high. Gonna have to wait for another set instead.

Can't wait to see what concurrence comes up with as well. For these reasons, plus to see what performance concurrence they have to offer ^^
    I'm thinking it'd be a good timing for sony..Maybe do something that's mobile vr and ps5vr at the same time.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lluc21
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up but still fancy a lighter option, maybe wait a bit for a likely peripheral I'd tolerate wearing during a typical gaming session though dependent upon the game, of course.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • VesaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VesaN triangle
    I got to play around Oculus Quest 1 last autumn and it was great fun, I was going to get Quest 2 but the facebook necessity was a deal-breaker for me... However, I think it is a great leap in VR industry, especially with the resolution improvement; Quest 1 gave me headaches with it's relatively poor resolution. Also the high pace at indie game developing scene will bring the most exciting inventions and games out there.. I highly recommend trying Tilt Brush if you haven't already, it's a great fun program from Google. :) 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    bought both of the table tennis games and the sci fi one has awesome realism in terms of spin and shot making.
    I do play real table tennis and canpt play anymore becase of covid so its a greaty way to keep fit

the eleven table tennis game is pretty good, but the physics and tracking not so hot
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    so just for laughs i extended my room boundary by drawing the entire room, then in to the corridor and then the bathroom. it worked fine and now i can walk sround the environments, even outside of them in  the cyber city for example.
    have to be careful bashing in to things though :)