Home Technical Talk

Blender issue with oddly shaded faces.

Hi everyone and happy new year.

Recently I have encountered a problem with some models in Blender (I use 2.82). When importing a model I have made in Sketchup, Blender "creates" these weird dark grey shapes on the model itself. I have gone back and forth between Blender and Sketchup to fix this - but nothing solves this. Please see the attached screenshots - I have circled the issues in red. There are no vertices or edges close to the problem areas.

What I have tried thus far:
- Checked normals and ensured they are facing the right way.
- Tried to add edges to the problem area.
- Subdivided the model (makes it worse).
- Tried various shading settings.
- Tried exporting from Sketchup in various formats.
- Tried importing the various formats of the model with various import settings.
- Removing materials and reassigning them.
- Cleaning up the mesh.

The problem persists even when I load it into Substance Painter to texture it...the rest of the model is fine, except for those annoying dark areas. Can anyone advise on what this is and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• MayhemInc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After going crazy with button-pressing, I finally solved it. Under the Object Data Properties tab, I selected "clear custom split normals data" and voila! No idea why the model imported with that...but at least this was one issue that was solved by pressing random buttons! Thanks to everyone that viewed/was willing to help.