Home Technical Talk

Any Maya plugin for texture painting?

I am mostly interested in handpainted stylized art and just wanted to know if there are any plugins for it.

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You can technically paint textures right inside of Maya, but it's definitely not a great system.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to go with a dedicated package like Substance Painter, 3DCoat, or Marmoset Toolbag 4? Their tools are likely miles ahead of any plugin that runs directly inside Maya, and will almost definitely be far more responsive and full-featured.
  • cracked_polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    You can technically paint textures right inside of Maya, but it's definitely not a great system.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to go with a dedicated package like Substance Painter, 3DCoat, or Marmoset Toolbag 4? Their tools are likely miles ahead of any plugin that runs directly inside Maya, and will almost definitely be far more responsive and full-featured.
    I tried 3dcoat but I can't get over it's UI, it's just too cluttered and I just keep on giving up whenever I try to do something in that.
    While substance painter doesn't feel like one could do handpainted stuff in it, it's more like a click and drag and tweak the sliders until your model looks good type of software.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    While substance painter doesn't feel like one could do handpainted stuff in it, it's more like a click and drag and tweak the sliders until your model looks good type of software.
    https://youtu.be/mwL_KYq3Aws

I can see why you'd think that, but it's not the case; Substance painter is the most common texture painting tool today, and it's very powerful. A quick google for "handpainted textures in substance painter" turned up many results and useful videos. The video above is one of such videos, and I think shows pretty well how it can work.
  • cracked_polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    https://youtu.be/mwL_KYq3Aws

I can see why you'd think that, but it's not the case; Substance painter is the most common texture painting tool today, and it's very powerful. A quick google for "handpainted textures in substance painter" turned up many results and useful videos. The video above is one of such videos, and I think shows pretty well how it can work.
    It was lagging on my pc quite a bit, will try an older version of painter and see if that helps.
    I have seen handpainted videos from the same channel and most of them were like tech based (used bunch of generators to make things look like handpainted).
    Haven't tried the new marmoset toolbag 4 though, is it good?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    For handpainted i go straight to Mudbox. It does have the best brush feeling. 
  • cracked_polygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    For handpainted i go straight to Mudbox. It does have the best brush feeling. 
    Need to move to another country to try that  :/
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Substance Painter pretty much has Photoshop's brush engine in it right now, so it's... actually really great for hand-painting even if you dont use the other layer stack and fill tools (though used in combination I personally think it's very powerful). I have a few of my fave brushes from PS in my shelf, even.

I made this with the Basic Hard Round brush that ships with substance, and just made some very minor edits to settings to match what I use in PS already. No weird steps necessary & painted right onto the model w/o any baked maps or whatever.

Using smaller textures while working also helps when it comes to Substance, if you can deal with that. The benefit to using mostly layer stack stuff is that you can freely resize the texture procedurally-- though it seems that totally applies to hand painted strokes too. I authored this at like 512px I think, but I can uprez it to 4k at export, or dynamically shift to working at that rez at any time. So If you think it might be your PC, try working at a lower rez maybe?

Currently, I can't recommend Toolbag 4's texturing for hand-painted textures as there is no color picker yet. When that gets added, it will depend on the responsiveness and feel of the brush engine. Since Photoshop is pretty ubiquitous and familiar, it's kinda hard to beat in terms of ease-of-acclimation.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    For example, faking a stylized hand painted look by using images alongside FOSS, can work.

Food for thought if you're both on a budget and deadline:

Image for post