Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly ENVIRONMENT ART Challenge | January - February (70)

Replies

• miriuk
  • miriuk
    Offline / Send Message
    miriuk triangle

Hi Guys I'm trying to set the camera before I finish some issues and details are missing but I need some help with lighting and cameras, I don't know what I can do to have a good scene.

Grass as well do you guys have any tips to set into UE4?
  • samA
    Offline / Send Message
    samA triangle
    @miriuk not sure if this helps but I found this video useful which covers quite a lot including lighting and post processing. -
    As for grass you can add it to the foliage and paint it onto a surface  - https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/BuildingWorlds/Foliage/index.html

I decided to go for the stylised environment. Here's what I have so far -

Need to add the top sign then start making high poly versions of the meshes for scultping. Not sure on how to do the tree yet as it's not an area I've focused on before so that should be good to learn!

• miriuk
    Offline / Send Message
    miriuk triangle
    Thank you so much @samA I'll follow this video, btw I will do the CGMA course "The Art of Lighting for Games" Im really frustate with it.
    Your model looks amazing, are you think to create assets inside? 
  • alytlebird
    Online / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    David96 said:
    I am a 2nd year animation student and I've really grown fond of environment art. Here is my latest interior, Its a little clean as I'm not yet finished so your critique would be very helpful, thanks! 
    *snip*
    @David96 Hi there! This thread is for participants of the Environment Art Challenge, specifically people who are creating environments and props using the concept art posted on the OP. I'd recommend making a new thread in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques (the subforum this thread is located in) to get the critique you're looking for. :)

Admin note: the post has been moved into its own Topic: https://polycount.com/discussion/224699/interior-xcs-9
  • samA
    Offline / Send Message
    samA triangle
    @miriuk Thank you! Not sure about the interior assets yet, depends how much time I have left. I'll probably end up moving the camera around to hide the interior if it comes to it!
  • miriuk
    Offline / Send Message
    miriuk triangle
    What do you guys thinking about this? I made on Unreal but Im not sure if its okay.
    https://cdn-animation.artstation.com/p/video_sources/000/248/361/ramen-2-trim.mp4
  • MikeKhine
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeKhine polygon

I really like your paints and color palette, but I think it would be better if the lines and shapes of your models won't be so straight. Great job overall=)
  • MrBFox
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox polycounter lvl 6
    Going with the pot/cauldron, something small to get the ball rolling for 3D in 2021. Thinking of doing stylized PBR for textures/Materials.
    Heres the 1st blockout pass roughly camera matched as close as I could get to the concept. Will be using Blender For the modelling and Substance for the textures.

• MrBFox
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox polycounter lvl 6
    another pass, refining some of the shapes before moving into High Poly

• MrBFox
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox polycounter lvl 6
    High Poly sculpt made in Zbrush.

• PatSaenzG
    Offline / Send Message
    PatSaenzG triangle
    Got the texturing to a place where I'm happy with it. Unless anyone has any feed back I'm gonna proceed with rendering in Blender.

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    ImsumDave polycounter lvl 8
    PatSaenzG 
    Looks like you exclusively poly modelled this. There are some powerful sculpting tools built into blender. Sculpting can really add a lot to any 3D asset. Poly modelling, unless done by a master, often looks very rigid and synthetic. Give sculpting a try to give your model some more organic details (undulating edge wear, random chips, Gooier goo). 

Another thing to considered that's built-in to blender is the stored views addon. I used this to find and store a camera view that best matched the concept. What I did initially is use a program called ghostit to overlay the concept image on my blender viewport. I then blocked in the basic shapes and tweaked both the shapes and camera view, including the FOV, until I got something that matched well. Once the block out and camera were positioned well, I stored my view with the stored view addon.

As for your textures:
    You have a lot of uniform details in your maps, try to break that up, give it more variation. I think you also need to analyze the materials of the concept a bit more. Go through the process of thinking about what these materials are, how they would react with light, how abuse over time affects them, and how you can use the shader textures to best replicate that. 
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox polycounter lvl 3
    @Saaamoth I love what you did with the stock to make the tanks, extra mag, and other flourish bits fit there. I think it flows very nicely into the rest of the gun and you're killing it on the detail!

@icegodofhungary Loving your materials so far and I think you're doing great work on that front! One thing that might help is the technique being discussed in this post:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/62933-generate-normal-from-vertex-paint#post595807
    Basically blurring the height map and turning it into a normal map that can then be used around the transition between the two materials to create more depth. Thought it might help!
  • icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Pinkfox said:
    @Saaamoth I love what you did with the stock to make the tanks, extra mag, and other flourish bits fit there. I think it flows very nicely into the rest of the gun and you're killing it on the detail!

@icegodofhungary Loving your materials so far and I think you're doing great work on that front! One thing that might help is the technique being discussed in this post:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/62933-generate-normal-from-vertex-paint#post595807
    Basically blurring the height map and turning it into a normal map that can then be used around the transition between the two materials to create more depth. Thought it might help!

Thank you so much I would have never thought to try that. I will give it a go and share how it turns out.
  • Pinkfox
    Offline / Send Message
    Pinkfox polycounter lvl 3
    @Mahelix Looks great! Love the detail you were able to put into places like the back sight, the bolts on the stock, the steam tanks, etc. Really helps sell it and you can see how the gun would be put together!
  • alytlebird
    Online / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    Hey everyone! Great work as usual on your projects, some really impressive stuff here :)

The CONCEPT THREAD for Challenge #71 is now live! This time around, I'm trying something different, and I've only given concept suggestions for the Stylized Environment and Hard Surface Prop; the other two categories are wide open for you guys to give suggestions. I'd really love to see more input during this concept phase, so hopefully we can get some of that going!

Thread can be found here: https://polycount.com/discussion/225243/the-bi-monthly-environment-art-challenge-concept-thread-march-april-71
  • LEDkrow
    My first environment ever.
    Rushed to get this as finished as I can tonight. I'm a little late, and it's not perfect, but I did it. Started some time in early February and worked on it in my free time as often as I could.
    I will probably adjust some things and re-render for my portfolio, but it's pretty much there. I will edit this post with the updated version on my portfolio when it's done. Overall though, I'm happy with it.

Modeled in Maya and ZBrush, textured in Substance Painter, rendered in Arnold.

EDIT: Post-challenge final version: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/AqnPGX
  • alytlebird
    Online / Send Message
    alytlebird interpolator
    Nice job @ellis_3d and @LEDkrow! And great job to everyone to participated in this Challenge cycle; I'm glad to see the stylized environment concept was so popular!

Challenge #71 is now LIVE! Check it out here: https://polycount.com/discussion/225243/the-bi-monthly-environment-art-challenge-march-april-71/