Home Career & Education

How to see more?

Do you guys have sometimes moments when making a model or drawing. You see that something is off but you can't point exactly what it is?
For example I model a door and i can't finish it because some aspects about it frustrate me. Weird thing is that when i look at my previous work, the door there is awful but somehow at that time i managed to just it leave it as it is.
Do you have advice on something like this or method to notice more details? I use a lot of reference images but often i get stuck

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Post the work here in the 3D Critique section and get other views on it, as one solution.

I myself go out og my way to message older colleagues about their critiques regarding projects I have to see if they can see anything that I can imrpove on.  It's usually smallt hings that'll take a lot of time to learn and get comfortable with, but I would usually have not seen it without their help.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    It's mostly a matter of experience and training to see it. With time you also gain what people sometimes call 'visual library' in your head to see what shapes work best, how to make things interesting,...

If you lack this kind of experience then getting feedback helps, but you also have to understand the reasoning behind the feedback, not just execute it. This way you learn what you need to keep in mind and where you need to pay attention when you are designing/modelling/sculpting/texturing/...
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Finish and publish your work. Find ways to measure audience response in a pragmatic way.

Don't put any heads above your own. Collect data, do the science. You'll learn what works. Don't confuse the goal. It is either to get a job or to make money, so know the audience.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Tripe said:
    Do you guys have sometimes moments when making a model or drawing. You see that something is off but you can't point exactly what it is?
    For example I model a door and i can't finish it because some aspects about it frustrate me. Weird thing is that when i look at my previous work, the door there is awful but somehow at that time i managed to just it leave it as it is.
    Do you have advice on something like this or method to notice more details? I use a lot of reference images but often i get stuck
    Well, judging by what you said I'd say proportions.
    It's something many people skip at the begining, and just go by the eye. Eventually if you start putting assets in the game engine, you need to have real life scaling because (at least in UE4) lighting behaves like real life and those measurements will come in handy, plus they remove the guesswork most of the time.
    There are standard measurements for stuff you can find them by just googling "door measurements, handle measurements". That will be your overall shape. It always helps having a human model in your scene (free downloads everywhere) for scale reference. 
    Then there is the rule of thirds (or golden rule) if you want to just make something artistic or try to seperate your door in sections.
    You also have the negative space shapes (in your door this probably doesn't apply, or it applies in the blank areas). 
    Another thing is, the eyes need some resting area and a focal area. More in depth when you train your eyes.
    All of the aforementioned are needed for a good model but worry not, they come with practise. Asking yourself why it doesn't look "right" is the right step towards getting better!