Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Postapo Flat - UE4

hublus
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
hublus polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone. I'm working on this scene for a while so I decided to post my progress. After blocking out the scene I made textures for floor, walls, and ceiling. I think I need to make some changes to tiles on floor or even replace them, because I don't know if they fit the scene. Then I made 3 biggest props on the scene: sofa, bed and table. And that's it so far. Main things I'm planning to add are small oven, guitar, some cables/pipes somewhere on walls, carpet, bookshelfs, light sources obviously(there are few placeholders for some of the props I mentioned). After I figure out who exacly is living there, I will create some storytelling props as well.

Environment is inspired by Metro universe. A lot of references I gathered consist of screenshots from Metro 2033, Metro Last Light and Metro Exodus.

Any critique and ideas are welcome. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Added chair, stove and carpet. Chair and stove should be fine after few tweaks, but I'm definitely not happy with carpet. I tried to create texture for it in Substance Designer, but patterns in "russian carpets" are so complex(few of them on screen below). I was thinking about finding high res fotography and making texture out of it. Creating similiar pattern might be doable, but I'm not sure if time investment would be worth it. If anyone have any idea how to solve my carpet problem, I would be more than happy to hear it :)

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
     Created new texture for carpet, added door, pipe to stove and also made spline blueprint for cables. Guitar is next to do. Any feedback is more than welcome. :)

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    I didn't realize 2 weeks have passed since last update. 

Things I did during that time:
    -remade lighting, now there are only 3 lights in scene(on table, on stove, above door), before there were too many fill lights which caused a lot of problems
    -remade sofa almost from scratch, because first model had few problems I couldn't get around easily
    -added 2 lockers, because I thought there is too much free space along the wall
    -added bookshelves made with combination of pipes
    -added guitar
    -added oil lamp on stove
    -added picture above sofa(It's Landscape with Procession painted by Ľudovít  Varga in XX century.)
    -small tweaks to other assets

Next thing I'm planning to do is adding more variation to the walls. They are quite boring atm I think. And after that I will move on to some smaller, storytelling props. I would like to show, that someone who lives there wants to make this place feel like home.

Thanks for reading and watching. I would like to get some feedback and critique :)

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Started adding smaller props. I began with area around the table. Thing I made are set of books, set of tools, chess, lamp, bottles. I'm still playing with light and making tweaks to other assets.

• Shounak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shounak polycounter lvl 3
    Really nice the way you managed to make it look so old school.
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Shounak said:
    Really nice the way you managed to make it look so old school.
    Thanks a lot mate!

Next update.
    I stopped making smaller props for few days, because I realized I'm missing quality I want to achieve. Even if it means redoing every asset 3 times. So I once again cameback to wall texture and added painted concrete layer. Then I made some additional props like box with fishes, pot with potatoes, small cabinet. Also added placeholder for hanging clothes. I think I should have spent more time on planning, but I'm quite happy with layout of scene. There is still some assets on my to do list together with improving already existing ones. Hopefully I will finish it strong. Thanks for reading and watching!

• valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    This came a long way man! Still not sold on those tiles, I just cant imagine why a place like this would need this type of tiles. To me it looks like it could besome sort of underground facility or complex thats been repurposed. Idk maybe its just me haha
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    This came a long way man! Still not sold on those tiles, I just cant imagine why a place like this would need this type of tiles. To me it looks like it could besome sort of underground facility or complex thats been repurposed. Idk maybe its just me haha
    I have doubts about these cursed tiles almost since beginning :). I spent so much time on them so I guess it's hard for me to just remove them now haha. I agree that they don't fit the scene super well, but on the other hand it makes you think how did tiles like that get into this place/what was  purpose of this place before. I might swap them out for something  else in the end. Thanks for comment!

I played a bit with color values and added more contrast. Let me know what do you think. Removed carpet for now, because in current state still looks kinda bad.
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Next update. Changed that huge friame around door and changed the door itself. I think it looks better now. Created sink and tiles texture. I might saturate those tiles a bit. Started making hanging clothes, blankets with Blender cloth simulation. Still need to work on them a bit, but  I'm happy how easy it was to get realistic simulation. And I made cathedral radio together with small layout change around sofa. Few smallers props and decals are my next goals. I would like to finish it before end of the month. 

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Another update. Still working on smaller props, added few decals. Also I'm reusing already made props to create more varation in the scene. As I'm getting closer and closer to finish I'm tweaking the lighting constantly. I decided to ditch the carpet(for now it's as placeholder on wall, if i find time to improve it a bit it might stay there). After removing carpet from floor, middle of room was quite empty so I got an idea to make use of chessboard from table. I made wooden box and created improvised table which fits the  theme of environment quite well.

Thanks for reading and watching. If anyone could give me some critique, especially on lighting I will be very grateful!

• rexo12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexo12 interpolator
    Not to fixate on the tiles, but they read to me as something you'd see in a bathroom. It could be a neat idea to make the flat look like it occupies a former bath/shower room? Some dismantled fixtures and more exposed pipes perhaps. You already have the sink which I think works quite well, and it's a unique gimmick to set it apart from all the other bunker scenes ;)

Otherwise, I feel like the scale on the metal floor is a bit off, those grip things probably need to be smaller/more frequent. There is also some noticeable planar stretching on the radio texture, and I feel like the couch cushions look just a bit too angular and hard. Some kind of trim where the floor meets the walls and on the concave wall corners might also be warranted.

Lighting might be a touch too dark, maybe lower your ambient occlusion somewhat. I do like the contrast you've set up with the orange interior and blue hallway/exterior lights, where the blending meets the threshold of the hallway and the main room. It seems to communicate to me that this is a small beacon of relative safety/comfort to escape from whatever nightmare is beyond the door.

Looking good :)
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    rexo12 said:
    Not to fixate on the tiles, but they read to me as something you'd see in a bathroom. It could be a neat idea to make the flat look like it occupies a former bath/shower room? Some dismantled fixtures and more exposed pipes perhaps. You already have the sink which I think works quite well, and it's a unique gimmick to set it apart from all the other bunker scenes ;)

Otherwise, I feel like the scale on the metal floor is a bit off, those grip things probably need to be smaller/more frequent. There is also some noticeable planar stretching on the radio texture, and I feel like the couch cushions look just a bit too angular and hard. Some kind of trim where the floor meets the walls and on the concave wall corners might also be warranted.

Lighting might be a touch too dark, maybe lower your ambient occlusion somewhat. I do like the contrast you've set up with the orange interior and blue hallway/exterior lights, where the blending meets the threshold of the hallway and the main room. It seems to communicate to me that this is a small beacon of relative safety/comfort to escape from whatever nightmare is beyond the door.

Looking good :)
    Really good points you have made. I like idea of bathroom changed into a place where someone lives. I will try to adress issues you mentioned in next update. Thanks a lot!
  • VesaN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VesaN triangle
    Nice work you got here! I think rexo12 made some good points earlier, if you go with the former bath/shower room idea, maybe add also some water damage marks on the floor as if the former shower/pipes had been leaking for a long time... I think everything but the tiled floor are at the same level with their wear level, the floor might need some decals or other kind of mark of its' age, unless it's intentionally left that way.. 

Nevertheless, I really like the mood you've set. The lighting works at least to me (though I'm no expert in that field), the cool-warm contrast between the living room and entry is subtle but effective. Nice job!
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4

VesaN said:
    Nice work you got here! I think rexo12 made some good points earlier, if you go with the former bath/shower room idea, maybe add also some water damage marks on the floor as if the former shower/pipes had been leaking for a long time... I think everything but the tiled floor are at the same level with their wear level, the floor might need some decals or other kind of mark of its' age, unless it's intentionally left that way.. 

Nevertheless, I really like the mood you've set. The lighting works at least to me (though I'm no expert in that field), the cool-warm contrast between the living room and entry is subtle but effective. Nice job!
    Thanks mate!

Another update. First of all I adjusted scale of some of the props. A guess this what happens when you're eyeballing instead checking measurments  :# Added tiles around whole room and toned concrete above the tiles. Also replaced table in corner with desk which works better I think. Tweaked lighting as well. I'm still thinking what smaller assets could I add to vary the scene.

Critique and feedback really needed! Thanks!

• hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Still working on it. I changed concrete above tiles to something more clean, I think it matches the scene better than raw concrete. Then I doubled number of tiles on floor and changed color pallette to simple light blue color(still thinking if something more warm wouldn't be better, but it enhances warm-cold contrast created with lights so I'm kinda confused). Added some posters I found on pinterest to vary walls a bit more and made simple grafitti above bed. Also created wooden logs near oven. Finding nice picture of russian carpet was really a blessing.

Time for final tweaks and adjustments. I would like to finish it with end of the month and move on to something new and fresh, but if anyone can point out some issues I'm missing I'm glad to hear it and work on them. Thanks for reading and watching!

• valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definetly getting there man!
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Definetly getting there man!
    Thanks!

Finished!

I think I reached the point where I don't have many ideas how to improve it. I'm not 100% happy with the result, but still it's the best piece I ever created. Biggest lesson I learned is I should spend more time on gathering references, making more detailed blockout and overall planning. I might revisit the scene after some time, but for now I need to take conclusions and work on something new.

Big thanks for everyone who gave me feedback and I'm happy to hear more!

• valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this needs an AO pass in the pp, a lot of the objects dont look grounded and look like they are flaoting in the air

Also I think that that bulkhead near the exit is too bright to the point where you cant see the lamp itself
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    I think this needs an AO pass in the pp, a lot of the objects dont look grounded and look like they are flaoting in the air

Also I think that that bulkhead near the exit is too bright to the point where you cant see the lamp itself
    Great advice. Thank you! Few screenshots after AO pass below. I think I might have added to much intensity :D 

• valentin_baguirov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking way better! Really ties it all together & looking more proffesional

Another thing I noticed is that the walls take up a lot of space in the screen and I would imagine a hero room like this might have some more info there, but thats just me. I would put something there like more posters up sparingly so it doesnt get too noisy and maybe put back some tiles where they are missing to remove some of that noise (thats just what I would do personally, but its personal preference I think).
  • hublus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for suggestions. For now I'm gonna leave it for week or two so I can look at it with fresh eyes. Thanks again for your feedback :)