Home Technical Talk

Tiling textures + sculpted damage?

Silen
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Silen polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys,

I found this screenshot of AC Origins on ArtStation and I'm wondering what would be the techniques to replicate something like this. It looks like the walls are using a tiling texture, whereas the damaged parts and corners look like they're sculpted yet they blend perfectly well, and I can't figure out how exactly this was done and what would be the process of creating something like this. 

I'd appreciate any help, cheers!

Replies

• Ghogiel
  • Silen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    Ghogiel said:
    Thanks for the help. So it'd be just using decals and maybe a 'damage' material vertex blended? In that case, how is the silhouette of the damaged parts fitting so well? Is this achieved by just moving vertices around to get a damaged look, then applying the decal on top of those faces? 
  • icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Looking at the modular kits I would say the damage may be part of the tiling texture.

It looks like they're using a larger trim sheet. At least 2048x2048. The brick is one strip and has the damage worked into it. The modular piece you posted is just modeled and UV well so that the corners line up with the damage. There may be a second UV set so you can get AO and grunge and stuff too. There is some kind of blending with a second stone material at the corners in your example. There are color and normal differences there that aren't present in the piece I posted. So the piece I posted must have the base texture without that blending and yours must have it. You can look at the red stone strip and see it too. On your piece that rough stone texture is blended over the corner and on mine you see the tiling more apparently.

On the next level there's the mesh itself. The damage details are definitely modeled in. I would imagine there were two sets of modular meshes. One to use in the modeling suite so you don't have to repeatedly model the same damage over and over. Then one that was made from the first set that are imported into the game. So in your example, the geometry at the corners are the same as the pillars in mine. It's just that the pillars are modeled to be such and in yours they're just corners of a larger block. This would be the same for the larger chunks missing and damaged roof stuff.

• Silen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silen polycounter lvl 3
    Looking at the modular kits I would say the damage may be part of the tiling texture.

It looks like they're using a larger trim sheet. At least 2048x2048. The brick is one strip and has the damage worked into it. The modular piece you posted is just modeled and UV well so that the corners line up with the damage. There may be a second UV set so you can get AO and grunge and stuff too. There is some kind of blending with a second stone material at the corners in your example. There are color and normal differences there that aren't present in the piece I posted. So the piece I posted must have the base texture without that blending and yours must have it. You can look at the red stone strip and see it too. On your piece that rough stone texture is blended over the corner and on mine you see the tiling more apparently.

On the next level there's the mesh itself. The damage details are definitely modeled in. I would imagine there were two sets of modular meshes. One to use in the modeling suite so you don't have to repeatedly model the same damage over and over. Then one that was made from the first set that are imported into the game. So in your example, the geometry at the corners are the same as the pillars in mine. It's just that the pillars are modeled to be such and in yours they're just corners of a larger block. This would be the same for the larger chunks missing and damaged roof stuff.

Super helpful, I would've never guessed that. Thanks a lot!