Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Character for critique.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
Hello, thanks for all the help i was given on this, i started out wanting to go into it to learn hair cards and SSS and owboy they were two cans of worms indeed, i feel like i ate the top layer of worms. and BOOM MORE WORMS. either way im stopping this now as if i dont i wont ever move on! 

I really want to get a job in the industry after Covid and everything cools down so hopefully some pointers to were my characters are suffering in terms of becoming a character artist would be fantastic. 

Huge issue i have is i need to think about texturing in the uving phase... things like the snow being an emmisive texture seems like a huge load considering i made the floor texture out of one noise map, so i know the main body has one or two extra unnecessary maps, but not being scared to go with big maps really did open up alot more choice when it comes to texturing so a balance is needed for sure. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nY8P89

Replies

• HarlequinWerewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    This is a pretty decent start. Your hair cards looks better than my first attempt at hair cards! :lol: Your texturing in general needs some love, there's a lack of contrast in the face and the clothing meaning everything looks flat. I would definitely spend more time working on colours in the face and general skin textures.

It's always worth checking out your project in greyscale to see where your contrast lies. If you look at the levels of this, you can see how flat the graph is, meaning there is almost no contrast. Her eyes also look like they're just kind of there, they don't feel grounded in her head at all. Look at adding some AO in the eyeball and more pink around the back and coming closer to the iris. 

Your hair could also do with a little more attention. The strands of hair themselves look quite chunky and you could do with adding some more edge loops in the bun to give it a rounder shape.

The hair itself also looks quite flat, there doesn't seem to be much specular break up and a lack of depth to the whole thing making it look really plastic-y. 

I'd also take another pass at your topology. You have loads of polys in the face, which isn't always bad, but you're lacking loops around her eyes which help with the general flow of topology on her face and make animating much easier. 

Sorry, it's a bit messy, but hope it gets my point across and I hope my rambling have helped

This is a good start, I think you could take your next piece a lot further now! I know what it's like thinking about coming back to something you've finished, so just take all of that learning and put it in to the next one! :+1:
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3
    This is a pretty decent start. Your hair cards looks better than my first attempt at hair cards! :lol: Your texturing in general needs some love, there's a lack of contrast in the face and the clothing meaning everything looks flat. I would definitely spend more time working on colours in the face and general skin textures.

It's always worth checking out your project in greyscale to see where your contrast lies. If you look at the levels of this, you can see how flat the graph is, meaning there is almost no contrast. Her eyes also look like they're just kind of there, they don't feel grounded in her head at all. Look at adding some AO in the eyeball and more pink around the back and coming closer to the iris. 

Your hair could also do with a little more attention. The strands of hair themselves look quite chunky and you could do with adding some more edge loops in the bun to give it a rounder shape.

The hair itself also looks quite flat, there doesn't seem to be much specular break up and a lack of depth to the whole thing making it look really plastic-y. 

I'd also take another pass at your topology. You have loads of polys in the face, which isn't always bad, but you're lacking loops around her eyes which help with the general flow of topology on her face and make animating much easier. 

Sorry, it's a bit messy, but hope it gets my point across and I hope my rambling have helped

This is a good start, I think you could take your next piece a lot further now! I know what it's like thinking about coming back to something you've finished, so just take all of that learning and put it in to the next one! :+1:
    Cheers, yer i can see what you mean, need to do abit more research on everything texture/colour wise, an making hair cards with achual specular, i could not get it to work at all part of me thinks the normals were not helping either as i have to make them with 4 flat images which hardly did much. But gotta work with the tools we have haha. 

All good points so thanks again will try apply them the best i can:)!