Home Adobe Substance

File got corrupted suddenly

So, i was working on a project made by myself on substance, worked about 17 hours on it, i saved it before closing. It saved correctly, i closed the program and i forgot something so i had to reopen it, i found that i cant, the project was suddenly corrupted aswell the autosaves, so now i lost all the time and i am on a dead time, i have to end this on 22/12

Replies

• Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Edit: nope I got nothing sorry
  • Eric Chadwick
    Set up a good live backup system, to an external drive. This will help you prevent the next one, and avoid pissing off your clients when your software/hardware goes bad. 
  • Meffecter
    Well, i had about 5 backups, all of them were corrupted so i dont know what really happened, there was about 1 hour difference between backups
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You can start a thread on the Allegorythmic site forum. Folks regularly send in files for inspection.
  • Eric Chadwick
    I'm moving this to the Adobe Substance section for you.

Could be a few things that caused this, but when it's your hardware failing (hard drive, RAM, etc.they never fail to, well, fail) then if you're saving all backups on the same drive that's not really a safe backup.

Live incremental backup to an external drive helps avoid this, could be as complex as a NAS or as simple as a USB stick. Good article here about the importance of smart backup strategy. This is about RAID but same issues apply to saving our art assets. https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/dehngo/how_to_protect_your_data_raid_is_not_a_backup/

Anyhow, good luck on this. Always sucks to lose data. :(
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Which version are you on? 

There was a file corruption bug when attempting to save to a full disk on 2018.3 - no idea if that got fixed or not.

The 2017 versions were shockingly bad in terms of file corruption - cost us thousands 

The problem with both of those is that the corruption got into autosaves and didn't manifest until reopening. 

The best strategy with painter files is to use source control.  save every couple of hours, verify the save is good and commit your change before starting to work again. 
    It's a pig but because the files are binary and monolithic there's basically nothing you can do to recover a damaged one.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I am so accustomed of that from Susbstance soft   I just no more care to  figure out, read forums , search fixes.  

I just know  whatever I do  could be unavailable next time  I open the soft  and usually never available  from what I did few month ago. especially with Substance Designer,   so I keep my pc in sleep mode and save regularly  into 16 bit layered psd  everything meaningful and possibly useful to be re-used.    

It's kind of a time waste to figure out why this or that procedural substance looks like crap now and was totally ok last year.  Better just save bitmaps with extra resolution.     Some I even couldn't recollect how I did them because they are undecipherable macaroni monsters anyway .