Home Marmoset

Styized character rendering in Marmoset and not using any uvs?

decorix
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
decorix polycounter lvl 11
Hi all,

I have a question regarding a stylzied character i want to render. (NOT A GAME CHARACTER) I don't want to UV the low poly, but
instead use a more mid/hi poly mesh.  The mesh has polypaint and I have noticed I can turn this option on in marmoset.
This way I don't really need any normals maps or other texture baking maps. Can I do it this way? If its game character I can understand
why I would use texture baking (Low.High) and setup my uvs workflow. 

Any thoughts on my workflow? Thanks in advanced.
decorix

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    If you dont need the mesh for a game why not. Just do what ever you want. 
  • decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    Oke Thanks oglu. Do you perhaps know if there is like a setting to turn on vertex paint on import (fbx) in marmoset? Now I have to go to each material and change the prefix from albedo to vertex paint. I'm still on marmoset 3.8 right now. I can select mesh part, but it doesn't jump to the current material :-( is there some trick/short cut to do this perhaps? Thanks in advanced. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving this from Tech Talk to the Marmoset section. Good luck!
  • NhodgesVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    @decorixsaid:
    oglu said:
    Oke Thanks oglu. Do you perhaps know if there is like a setting to turn on vertex paint on import (fbx) in marmoset? Now I have to go to each material and change the prefix from albedo to vertex paint. I'm still on marmoset 3.8 right now. I can select mesh part, but it doesn't jump to the current material :-( is there some trick/short cut to do this perhaps? Thanks in advanced. 
    you can use a script that loops through all materials and does that. if you don't want to do the script method and you don't care about keeping the materials separated you could just create a new material with vertex color enabled and assign it to all your meshes.

link to a script that changes all albedo to vertex colors. It works in marmoset 4, seems like it should work in 3.
    https://gist.github.com/NHodgesVFX/8e5b6ba34a4dd2d35151056b72257e5b

• decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks NhodgesVFX.  Good tip with new material having vertexpaint on!!! will look into the script. 

NhodgesVFX said:
    @decorixsaid:
    oglu said:
    you can use a script that loops through all materials and does that. if you don't want to do the script method and you don't care about keeping the materials separated you could just create a new material with vertex color enabled and assign it to all your meshes.

link to a script that changes all albedo to vertex colors. It works in marmoset 4, seems like it should work in 3.

• decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello and thanks for posting the script. Were do you put the script? Is this in the install directory marmoset/plugins/?
    C:\Program Files\Marmoset\Toolbag 3\data\plugin

Thanks decorix

hodgesVFX said:
    @decorixsaid:
    oglu said:

• NhodgesVFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NhodgesVFX triangle
    @decorix you can click on the plugins menu (topbar -> edit -> plugins) in toolbag and click show user plugins, it will open a folder where you can put the script. Then the same menu after your reload should show a button to run it. in 4 it looks like below after installing the script, should be similar in 3.

• decorix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NhodgesVFX...  Thanks so much for you're help again!!  its working great little script.