Home Technical Talk

Blender to Unity3D Workflow - Suggestions/Advice Please

node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Voxelope node
I am looking for software suggestions for things in RED on my in-between solutions in my workflow pipeline.

It has been nearly 3 years since I have done any work for a client, and surprisingly though my portfolio feels pretty dated, especially looking at all the cool things people are making these days, I may have a gig to help me weather the 2020 pandemic for a part-time project that might turn into something long term.

3D work will primarily be vehicles and weapon systems for training simulators built in Unity 3D platform. ( hard edge, mechanical assets. )

1. Blender - 3D Modeling
2. Photoshop - Decals & Graphic Design
3. Texture/Painting/Detail Bake ( used to use Mudbox ). - ???
4. Retopology - solved - Blender
5. Unity 3D - Target Platform

Hoping for suggestions for stuff in RED. I Will need to texture paint with mouse/keyboard as I never got into the tablet hand paint stuff. 

Super appreciate you guys ahead of time! Thank you!

Replies

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    @Voxelope Most people use Marmoset Toolbag or Substance Painter for baking, Substance Painter is also used for texturing/painting. Quixel Mixer is a good alternative to Substance Painter too and it's free.

Also if you are not strictly required to use photoshop. Take a look at Affinity Photo, it's a really good alternative and one time payment only.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    You probably want to look into substance painter for the textures and baking, & for retopo you could probably stay in blender.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuQzPDs99yM
    I think that's an example of the built in tools, though I'll admit I'm not super familiar. mind the character example of course; i will also admit im not familiar with vehicular retopo needs haha. A quick google also brings up retopoflow, speedretopo, and retopoMT. It looks like you'd be fine without buying a third party tool there, regardless!

• Voxelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voxelope node
    BagelHero said:
    You probably want to look into substance painter for the textures and baking, & for retopo you could probably stay in blender.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuQzPDs99yM
    I think that's an example of the built in tools, though I'll admit I'm not super familiar. mind the character example of course; i will also admit im not familiar with vehicular retopo needs haha. A quick google also brings up retopoflow, speedretopo, and retopoMT. It looks like you'd be fine without buying a third party tool there, regardless!

@BagelHero Nice, yeah I can easily include the price of Substance Painter subscription if it is contract-based or have them purchase a seat if they bring me on the team, plus have heard good things about SP. 

Blender changed a lot since I last used it, thankfully hands are picking up the old hotkeys pretty quick, and I am used to reading a lot of documentation for when I do programming.  =)

Super appreciate the reply.

@Udjani super appreciate the tip about Affinity Photo, I know I don't use Photoshop as much as I used to since I use Procreate for my sketch/concept work.

• Voxelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voxelope node
    @BagelHero that tutorial was spot on, and those guys did a great job. Blender has improved a lot since I last used it, and good to see some quality tutorials to go along with.
  • 3DGolum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also use Substance Painter in my modeling to Unity workflow and highly recommend it (even though it is now owned by Adobe). You can even export directly to Sketchfab if you need a gltf deliverable. I also use the Affinity suite and highly recommend it too. Photoline is also excellent if you are looking for a PS alternative.
  • Voxelope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voxelope node
    @3DGolum just wanted to follow up and say thank you for the additional suggestions. Very much appreciated!