Home Technical Talk

Defining & normalizing terms for real-time and Virtual Reality projects

Hi all!

I'm writing you all trying to find and to establish some standardized terms for the already popular real-time architecture visualization. I'm a developer (with UE4) on this field and, sometimes, customers ask or talk me about 'virtual' projects, and many other ‘virtual’ or ‘cool’ words, but almost no one coincide with each other about the same term for the same thing. What 'virtual' is? Lately, I have noticed a tendency in which almost any computer ArchViz project is becoming to be called 'virtual'.

Even I usually spot advertising and marketing about 'something' without being that something. So it can cause confusion, lose of time, or even fraud. For example, announcing a course about Virtual Reality for ArchViz without using, in any moment, a VR headset, but only a mouse and a keyboard. Of course, all of this, can be extended to any kind of similar project, not only ArchViz.

I think there should exist some more-or-less-clear terms about this new field in the ArchViz world. Maybe already exist, or maybe not, in which case, -maybe, again-, we could help initializing that standardization.

To start with something, I would ask you about how would you call, for example, any of these kind of real-time projects?
  • 'Typical' 360 tour, where you jump between spherical photos. IMHO: '360 ArchViz tour', instead or 'Virtual tour'.
  • A video or images rendered in UE4. IMHO: 'ArchViz real-time rendering' (I have seen this advertized like 'Virtual Reality for Archviz'!)
  • First person ArchViz, where you can 'play' it like in a videogame, moving around all over the scene, without being able to change anything). IMHO:'FP Archviz', 'FP ArchViz walkthough' or 'ArchViz walkthrough videogame'
  • First person ArchViz, where you can 'play' it like in a videogame, moving around all over the scene, being able to make 'physical' changes into the scene. IMHO: 'FP interactive ArchViz', 'FP interactive ArchViz walkthrough' or 'Interactive ArchViz videogame'
  • Virtual Reality ArchViz 'game'. Only moving around. IMHO: 'VR ArchViz' or 'VR ArchViz walkthough'
  • Virtual Reality ArchViz 'game'. Moving + interaction. IMHO: 'VR interactive ArchViz' or 'VR interactive ArchViz walkthrough.

Something like ‘Real-time ArchViz’ or ‘Archviz videogame’, could define the last 4 examples in a more generical way, but I think preferable only for mouse + keyboard (or gamepad) projects, being the best to, when a VR headset involved, include the ‘VR’ or ‘Virtual’ word, but only for those projects designed for VR headset use.

I'm a pretty normal guy, so I'm not trying (nor capable, probably) to lead this thread, but still interested in talking about this, and try to arrive to any term. I hope this get us to success, in a long and rich thread. But I will be able, of course, to edit this first post with important information, if needed.

Have you ever faced a similar situation? What do you think about this?

Thank you very much and best regards!
Miguel