Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Loomis planes study bust

drizs
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
drizs polycounter lvl 17
Hey folks,

I am doing a Loomis planes study bust, and would truly appreciate a fresh pair of eyes on it. Can someone offer advice on perfecting the head?

I am going for simplification and correctness in proportions, using the standard Loomis head. I am aiming to minimize artistic interpretations, but have made some artistic choices, namely higher and more pronounced cheekbones and a slightly more V-shaped face. Lastly I have added simplified eyes. To clarify, I am not trying to achieve good edge loops, this is a human form study not intended for real-time use.

I can't figure out the nose, any feedback and advice is much appreciated. Is it too simplified?

I have attached the .obj file as well if someone might want to give some more in-depth feedback.

model

Lastly for reference

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Are you sure this is Loomis head ? I have hard time seeing the resemblance
  • drizs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drizs polycounter lvl 17
    Are you sure this is Loomis head ? I have hard time seeing the resemblance
    Hehe -- Rather I am aiming towards a Loomis head. I find some of his planes simply impossible to translate into 3D. Not saying its not doable - Hoping someone could help getting some semblance to the basic principles of form.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe you should start with checking proportion one more time looks like your eyes are not where they should be also face shape is different
    missing forehead stuff
    I suggest to take a thin piece of get and try to get the profile right then use that to fix your head think of it as cardboard cutout
    BTW to simplify something is probably harder then to do the real thing it require in deep understanding of the thing
  • drizs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drizs polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe you should start with checking proportion one more time looks like your eyes are not where they should be also face shape is different
    missing forehead stuff
    I suggest to take a thin piece of get and try to get the profile right then use that to fix your head think of it as cardboard cutout
    BTW to simplify something is probably harder then to do the real thing it require in deep understanding of the thing
    Thanks for your invaluable feedback. I am going for as simplified as Loomis does it. Here's an updated version.

model
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok looks more like a human now :) but there are planty of things that you could improve /add so keep going
    First Is there a way to reduce proportion distortion in this viewer this peep hole view is killing me
    I was jumping all over the place so if something in unclear let me know