Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Skateboard - Feedback Wanted Please

Sierra3D
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Sierra3D polycounter lvl 4
I started working on this skateboard yesterday for a weekly challenge. I am trying to recreate a friends skateboard so I made alpha masks for the prominent scratches/imperfections.

I would really appreciate any feedback!

References

Current WIP

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Nicely done!
    The only thing that is off to me is the curvature of the front and back lip (i dont know what is the proper name). If you overlap the ref with your model the curvature is very different.

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    my only criticism so far would be to start adding wear and tear to the bottom of the board, give it scratches, dents, etc
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    The footprint is a fun detail, but it looks like a bare foot. Don't people usually wear shoes when they ride skateboards? 
  • Sierra3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @teodar23 thanks for pointing that out. I brought it back into Maya and fixed the curve. It was a bit too wide.

@jose.fuentes Thanks for the feedback! I'll continue to work on the wear and tear

@JamesBrisnehan Yeah it definitely looks like a foot. The funny thing is that the actual print on the board looks like a foot. You can see it in the reference images under the Grip Tape label. But I agree that it looks odd so I changed it to look like some Vans.

Update

• Sierra3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

I blurred the shoeprint and added a few more. I also added some more roughness on the bottom. 

I'd appreciate any feedback!

I also added the trucks and wheels.

• Raybees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raybees polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say for as worn as everything is, the bottom of the deck  is way too clean, I just bought a board for example and have skated it maybe 3 times and the paint on the nose and tail is already 50% scraped off, I would either lessen the age/ roughness on the top or add a lot more wear and tear on the bottom, cause right now it's looking as if someone did 1 ollie and then put it down.