Home Technical Talk

Retopo for film? How'd you go about prepping this model to be UV'd + Textured for Film

Hey everyone!
Been pretty stuck on how to solve this problem. Want to try make a character that could be used in film. Every tutorial I look at for film uses models that are SubD models and they create displacement maps in ZBrush. These aren't SubD models 🤔 They're kind of models with gross topo. The only way I can think of is doing the game model workflow. Retopo + bake normals. Is that crazy for film? I feel it'd just rig a lot better than if it I were to UV it as it is now.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you can UV hipoly models like this - since it's for film you don't need to be so picky about making neat UV islands - often you can just auto-unwrap the model. 

For a film you wouldn't necessarily paint the whole mesh - for the armband you could use tiling textures combined with edge based shader masks to add wear and tear. You'd probably paint the skin texture using something like Mari. 
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    For film i would model all. Sculpting only for surface details. If its a hero asset you need clean uvs.