Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP][UE4] P-47 Aircraft in the Valley

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tythomas063 greentooth
Hello, everyone! 

It has been a very long time since I have posted anything on polycount. Hope all of you are doing very well! If anyone is curious, I have been working in Visual Purple studio as a 3D environment artist since December 2019. This is actually my first job in the 3D industry! It's pretty exciting and fun to work on the military simulations for the Air Force. :) 

After everything has settled down, I have been working on my new project, P-47 Aircraft in the Valley. My goal is to improve my skills in complex modeling and nature environment creation. 

These artworks ( Tor Frick, Aaron Fowler, and Alex Ichim ) inspired me to work on this project which is what I want my project to look similar to these arts in some ways. 

Inspirations: 

(Tor Frick)

(Aaron Fowler)

(Alex Ichim) 

Here are the pictures that show where my project looks like currently : 

Reference :

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/WWII_tour/WWII-23.html

The next thing I need to do is to fix the shading and then start unwrapping the UV map. I am planning to use the Rounded-Edge Shader workflow for many parts of this aircraft. 

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated! Cheers! :) 

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    If you are going to have close-up shots of your plane like this, I think adding more edges to your wings and cockpit's window frame would be a good idea. It's looking a little blocky for a 'hero prop'.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Nice, the interior/exterior dimensions, seem accurate in frame.

Interesting choice using the rounded edge shader for realtime assets, I'm not familiar with it but cursory documentation research suggests noticeable performance gains in engine and also just curious whether this workflow is implemented at your studio, as well?   
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I think he means the rounded edges shader in the DCC which you can bake into the normalmap. So no need for a high poly. Afaik there are some attempts at a real time shader but its a bit too technical and expensive to go mainstream.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Ah thanks, I may've had something else in mind, still food for thought especially for those like myself that are without access too current gen tools and low spec hardware.