Home General Discussion

How much time you spent on gathering references images before starting a project as a modeller?

kongbui
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
kongbui polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys,

There is a question I've always want to ask all the senior professional 3D modeller in the industry. It would be great if some senior folks in the forum could help me solves this curiosity out, I really appreciate it. As a Junior 3D modeller myself, I do understand the importance of references images in my artwork but I would like to know for example:

If you have 16 hours to finish a model, how much time you gonna spent looking for refs images? How you would rate the important of gather refs task in your workflow?.

Wish all of you have a good day. Thank you.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would do fast search at the beginning around 15 min. And if i have troubles to find the right shapes i search on the go. There is no fixed time for ref search.

If you get ref material or a painted concept  from design you dont need more. 
  • kongbui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    I would do fast search at the beginning around 15 min. And if i have troubles to find the right shapes i search on the go. There is no fixed time for ref search.

Thank you for your comment, sir, and I just curious how important do you think references images are in every project? I read a lot of tutorials articles and also videos and even courses online and the pro tips always are getting a clear visual first then do the craft.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    An Artist is only as good as his Reference " Fausto De Martini"
  • kongbui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    An Artist is only as good as his Reference " Fausto De Martini"
    that pretty much sums up everything :) and by the way thanks to you now I know another good hard-surface and sci-fi artist too, a big fan of it by the way :) Have a good day sir.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I'm not senior, but I am pretty OCD about gathering as many reference images as possible as I think it's important to get as much detail and accuracy as possible before I start something, so to answer your question...

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Man i have pureref files full of references for my NEXT project, let alone the one I'm currently on haha.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I just get on with it, sculpt for ages, get annoyed because its coming out crap, then i diligently look for the ref i need
    true that
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I never start with reference (for people, or creatures.) I generally try to mock things up as I see them first, and let ideas come out from there. Feels much more free that way, IMO.

If it's for a specific task, then I'll grab 1 handful worth of images to get the general idea and go from there. Overall, I try to stay dependent on my memory and knowledge, than remaining codependent on reference material where ever possible.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I'd say you want to gather references until you problem solve all the areas from your concept. Doesn't have to be only at the begining but also through every step.
    That being said, you don't have to find reference images if you are familiar with some areas, but eventually you might need references for your big shapes, then another reference on intersections/how it's been built (mechanical wise, geographical wise etc) then some reference for your materials and maybe some for storytelling (like how scratches are being made, or how is blood being spilled)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    oglu said:

Omg.. either way I'd spend 15mins looking for just the buttons.

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    If anyone is looking for my 2 cents. I am not a senior nor junior, I have my own thing going but from what I have learned, seniors create a sheet of possible character to be, it helps searching references based off of that sheet. The sheet contains lists of species, race, class, special or something along those lines. Seniors never start from scratch and have pre-made sculpt ready base meshes that saves them hours of work.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    oglu said:

Omg.. either way I'd spend 15mins looking for just the buttons.

To make that clear "on the go" means if i have troubles to model something i do a second search for refs. On my Zombie i did around 3h of ref search in the end.

But for the blockout to get approval from the Art Dir you dont need detailed refs. 
  • kongbui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy said:
    I'm not senior, but I am pretty OCD about gathering as many reference images as possible as I think it's important to get as much detail and accuracy as possible before I start something, so to answer your question...

this is spot on for my recent project...

• kongbui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man i have pureref files full of references for my NEXT project, let alone the one I'm currently on haha.
    such dedication to the research man, haha.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    highly recommend spending as much time looking up texture / material reference as you do reference for modeling.
  • Eric Chadwick