Home Technical Talk

How do I model or texture this?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Dks13632725 polycounter lvl 3

I wanna model this and texture it

this is what I get I kinda elavorated for this but this is quite endless. what should I do?
How can I texture it properly or How do I recreate this scene from references?

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Breakdown the repeating structures like those arches into a modular mesh. Use a tiling stucco texture for the building. Use material blending to create the grime and dirt on the stucco. Unique meshes for the windows, railing, electrical box(es), awnings. Try to atlas as many textures as you can. Then do modular pipes. Throw the doors and stuff on one atlas. Glass material for some of the windows. Tiling textures for the road. Maybe a trim sheet thrown in for the sidewalks and some of the other building details. For the buildings in the distance I would just make those one whole mesh and use a unique trim for each to speed up texturing. Decals for the road markings. Texture blending for the road and sidewalk grime. Maybe some dirt decals too.

That should get you most of the way there. There will probably be little things you have to account for, but that's mostly it. As for keeping scale, throw in a mannequin model and start with the doors and stuff to get a good feel. If this is meant to be game art, throw it in engine early on (grayboxing) and see how the proportions feel from either first person or third person. iteratively adjust from there.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Dks13632725
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dks13632725 polycounter lvl 3
    Breakdown the repeating structures like those arches into a modular mesh. Use a tiling stucco texture for the building. Use material blending to create the grime and dirt on the stucco. Unique meshes for the windows, railing, electrical box(es), awnings. Try to atlas as many textures as you can. Then do modular pipes. Throw the doors and stuff on one atlas. Glass material for some of the windows. Tiling textures for the road. Maybe a trim sheet thrown in for the sidewalks and some of the other building details. For the buildings in the distance I would just make those one whole mesh and use a unique trim for each to speed up texturing. Decals for the road markings. Texture blending for the road and sidewalk grime. Maybe some dirt decals too.

That should get you most of the way there. There will probably be little things you have to account for, but that's mostly it. As for keeping scale, throw in a mannequin model and start with the doors and stuff to get a good feel. If this is meant to be game art, throw it in engine early on (grayboxing) and see how the proportions feel from either first person or third person. iteratively adjust from there.
    I dont really get it but yeah
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage