Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Big House "Belle Epoque".

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Minai polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone!

Here, an update of my final scene! Hope you'll enjoy it! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi everyone!

I'm working on this big house named "Belle Epoque" since a few month ago and I would like to share my WIP with you! There is much work to be done and I would love having any advices (It's not too late to change some stuff!)!
Hope you'll enjoy it! 

Maya 3D - Zbrush - Unreal Engine

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Good start but i'm not very familiar with this style. Mind sharing your refs?
    I realise that this is a wip but i see a lot of unnecessary edge loops that go around the whole building and seeing how your end goal is a real time engine, i suspect some optimization is in order.
    Something about the color palette just doesnt work for me, maybe that green stands out too much, dunno.
    Other than that, me likes it.
  • Minai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Teodar23, 

Thank you for your help!
    Even if I still have a lot of work to do on it, you are right, my textures color should be more desaturated. 
    At the end, I would like to have a sunset ambiance in my global scene.
    Here is my ref for the house. I don't want to reproduce the house exaclty as my ref with all those crazy details, I want to train on making texturing/trimsheet first, and to meet situations where I will be very uncomfortable.

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Modeling wise you pretty much nailed it. As far as the color scheme goes, the red should be more saturated and the green should be darker. Slap some fancy lighting and a touch of postprocessing and youre goldin'.
  • Minai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2
    Hey everyone, I just want to show you my progression since the last time. 

I'm currently trying to work a little on the post process of my scene! I'm doing it on Unreal and of course, if you have some advices for me about the post process (or anything else), I will apreciate a lot since I'm not very comfortable with it. 

I try to take a particular attention to my textures colors and I reajusted some of them with Teodar23 advices.

Also, anyone have an idea about this issue? It happens when I import the 3d model in Unreal and I have no idea how to fix it.
    I tried to assign a new material and to change the textures but nothing, some polygon just disappeared.

This is the 3D model in Maya.

Thank you!
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    About the colors, the window frames are too dark and because the rest of the building is generaly bright it makes for an unpleasant contrast.
    Not a maya user so dont know the naming of tools but check for flipped polys and unify normals. Also when exporting (to fbx i presume) enable triangulation or triangulate your model before exporting.
  • Minai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2
    As usual, thanks for your advices teodar23!

Maya is crashing everytime I try to export an fbx with the triangulate option enable... Idk why... I'm gonna try to change the topology, export without enable the triangulation and see what will happen... 
    I tried to flipped the polys and it didn't change anything too... The normals seems good too

I did an update of my scene anyway. I added a volumetric fog (I'm experimenting the rendering) but it need to be ajdusted. I lit the windows and it's definitively better!

Tell me what are your feelings!

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Definetly an improvement.
    But the windows are not reflecting propery. Did you add a refl capture actor in your scene?
    The fog is a bit too strong for my liking. It tends to wash out the colors and shapes so it needs to be subtle.
    It looks like you have 2 suns in the scene and one is leaking through the building. Try to keep just one directional light and to add some geometry to the back of the building.
    Once you bake the lighting it will look much better and if you go with a hdri instead of the default sky it will be a lot more realistic.
  • Steve0105
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The materials are looking good, but some exaggerated variation in the light brick would look better, they all have the same tone now in the current lighting. Look forward to how this turns out!
  • Minai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minai polycounter lvl 2
    Hello everyone, 

It is true that I had two suns in my scene ^^', I even didn't pay attention to the 2nd one, but it's fixed now! Thanks!

I improved the global ambiance of the scene and I added new details with your advices! Thanks to teodar23 and Steve0105 for their advices! It really helped me!

I didn't manage to have exactly what I want for this scene yet, I would like to fit my fog on a personal mesh to have a better control of it, but idk why it does not work. I need to fix that! 

Since I would like to end this project to begin another one, the next post should be the final one!