Home Marmoset

Can I use Marmoset 4 offline with a perpetual individual licence?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi all.

I've been using the trial for a couple of days and I love the new raytracing feature.

I now want to buy a perpetual individual licence but could not find an explicit answer to the following questions:
  1. After the initial installation and licence activation, can I use Marmoset 4 offline?
  2. Can I use renders containing the library skies in commercial products eg animated videos, images? I assume yes but just need official confirmation.
You've done a great job with this release and I can't wait to get it!

Cheers, Giles

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. You need an internet connection to verify your license, there is a 24 hour grace period where you can use the software offline, but then you'll need to have an internet connection to authenticate your license. In trial mode, there is no grace period, so you'll need to have an internet connection every time you launch the software.
    2. You're permitted to use all content in the library, skies, materials, etc, in commercial products
  • gilesb
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    Please release Steam version.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit said:
    We do not plan to bring Toolbag 4 to Steam. If you own Toolbag 3 on Steam, you can email us a PDF or image of your Steam purchase receipt and we'll send you a coupon code to upgrade on our website. Please email: support@marmoset.co
  • wilson66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
    That means that I cannot use the application when the internet connection is down - which happens regularly here unfortunately, and longer than 24 hours sometimes. We all know that those things tend to happen at the most adverse times. This could get uncomfortable far too quickly when there is a deadline to be kept and you are keeping me from using the software I have (not yet) paid for. No, thats unintelligible, and a reason not to buy the software for me.
  • gilesb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, as much as I love it, I'm not gonna be buying it now either.

I totally understand the devs' need to protect their software, and to be rewarded for all their hard work. And we wouldn't have amazing tools like this if they weren't.

But I do wonder how many potential sales may be lost by the need for daily authentication, given that is a perpetual licence.

I use UE4, so this app is not really a must buy for me, but it would have been perfect as a way to quickly preview chars and hdri lighting setups.

I don't imagine they will lose any current users, but I do think some first-time buyers users like myself may be put off.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Hm, what's the 'old' setup then - have things become more restricting? I thought TB3 and prior also required regular check-ins. Is it the interval that's changed?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm curious how other software (i.e. painter, 3dCoat, Maya) deal with this? I imagine it can't be all that different.
  • Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    kolayamit said:
    We do not plan to bring Toolbag 4 to Steam. If you own Toolbag 3 on Steam, you can email us a PDF or image of your Steam purchase receipt and we'll send you a coupon code to upgrade on our website. Please email: support@marmoset.co
    How much I follow your team on this move knowing how painful it is to survive with steam taxes + their very own marketing rules...you're making a strong, probably difficult, but necessary choice
    Also as a game artist, all my software licences are off of steam since I do not consider it is a wonderful advantage to be forced to use a launcher for a software (and honestly I still find it quite annoying for games but that's my opinion)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gilesb we've rolled out an update that changes the grace period from 24 hours to 7 days if you own a license. Trial versions still have the 24 hour grace period though.