Home Technical Talk

What brand laptop should I buy as an artist?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
krasenmaximov polycounter lvl 7
I use Photoshop, my PC has 8 GB RAM and 4 cores and its not enough on high res files but overall its nice. Im willing to spend 1200 - 1500$ on laptop. Any recommendations, atleast for the brand?
What I want is a stable machine that wont break, thats all..

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    At the moment MSI and Metabox (Clevo vendor), are the ones I'm currently looking at but can be slightly priced above your budget for a basic consumer option.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I know people have their own reasons, but the desktop you could get for $1500 would be really solid; a laptop for that much would be a lot less capable.

I trust Dell as a company, and they have some pretty solid laptops in the $1500 range (the XPS series), could be worth looking into ( https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-7590-laptop/xn7590edlds ). Though I don't have experience working with their laptops in particular.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Is there any special reason you want a Laptop?
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu said:
    Is there any special reason you want a Laptop?
    Yes, being able to travel while working. Im also buying new PC but thats another story.
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    I know people have their own reasons, but the desktop you could get for $1500 would be really solid; a laptop for that much would be a lot less capable.

I trust Dell as a company, and they have some pretty solid laptops in the $1500 range (the XPS series), could be worth looking into ( https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/xps-15-laptop/spd/xps-15-7590-laptop/xn7590edlds ). Though I don't have experience working with their laptops in particular.
    I feel sick spending so much money on a laptop. I never liked them, but I want to be able to travel while working. I woke up today, and I really dont feel like buying anything at all...
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Out of curiosity, what apps do you routinely use either for work or play?

Because the OP only mentions an image editor, if indeed your primary?! then no need too spend $1500, just half that or even less...so really there's a plethora of choice currently available.

As an aside, on occasion I still tend to drag along an 'ancient' 2008 Compaq Presario C700, when visiting family especially if there's toddling tiny nieces/nephews in the picture just for doodling purposes with Blender 2.6, Gimp, Krita and Shiva game engine installed.
  • Cless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cless polycounter lvl 8
    I have been using Clevo computers since 2011, never gone back. Desktop CPUs are perfect on a laptop, specially if you like Sculpting. They come at a heavy cost of batterylife and price though.
  • animatrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With a low budget, it will be hard to find powerful laptop, because even the thick laptops can get pretty pricy.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Dont know about specific brands but, i'd make sure the laptop has a full graphics card not some shared system. I have a hybrid and its not too handy  at times. I reckon at least a 17 inch screen, as big of an SSD as you can afford but also a built in HHD to store files. I have a dual boot so my little SSD handles linux and win 10. The HHD  runs programs and stores files but I would rather have a big enough solid state for that.

Like the others say for price and power you cant get past a desktop but at times the flexibility and mobility of a lap are a godsend.
  • krasenmaximov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Out of curiosity, what apps do you routinely use either for work or play?

Because the OP only mentions an image editor, if indeed your primary?! then no need too spend $1500, just half that or even less...so really there's a plethora of choice currently available.

As an aside, on occasion I still tend to drag along an 'ancient' 2008 Compaq Presario C700, when visiting family especially if there's toddling tiny nieces/nephews in the picture just for doodling purposes with Blender 2.6, Gimp, Krita and Shiva game engine installed.
    I dont play games, I only do Photoshop and Pure ref. On PC I have also 3D software but thats that.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then I'll suggest researching well established brands, as Joopson mentioned earlier upthread. Reason being they're typically renown for reliability, component longevity and build quality at a competitive consumer price point so my advice is to start listing system specs of those devices with quality displays.

Example:
    Dell XPS 15 (2020) - $1,954 (AUS)

I also think it's useful noting, that portable monitors are increasingly gaining traction via other content creative fields eg: Film CG, Grapic Arts and Phtography to name a few so perhaps at least worth further thought in terms of extending the digital workspace, whilst on the road.

Example:
    ASUS ZenScreen MB16ACE (2020) - $399 (AUS)

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
     I wanted that mobile work place too  but  couldn't imagine I might be in need  of mobile monitor or battery.  Any place I possibly relocate  usually have  monitors  or tv  to connect   and   electricity outlets.    So the whole idea of laptop seemed weird for me .    

I ended up buying  miniATx  just slightly bigger than cpu fan itself   for ryzen 3900.   It  works  perfectly well since just laying on my table  without any heavy case.       But due to covid  I had no chance to test its mobile virtues yet .  Expect it  to be perfectly transportable in a small backpack.

I have macmini too, would be perfectly happy with its form factor if it wouldn't be such a useless toy.

Decade ago I already had a laptop.   it just collected dust  mostly.  Was  too inconvenient to do any real work