Home Technical Talk

What is wrong with my normal map?

Hello! Sorry if this isn't where/how I'm supposed to ask, I have never posted before.

Creating this texture is part of a school project. Only one of my instructors knows 3D software well enough and he doesn't usually answer me when I have questions. I only have access to Blender, Substance and ZBrush.
I began by modeling this fan shape against one I found online as a reference, in Blender. I used curves and parented the cubes to the curves for the shape, and sculpted the details in ZBrush. I know the spacing is a bit weird, but it is my first time making a tiling texture of this shape & I have limited time. I've made several other tiling textures using the same modeling/sculpting method, and then baking on to a plane, but they all had a more uniform shape and did not give me this sort of issue. 

In the first photo you can see my low poly.

The second photo is how it looks when I arrange them in a repeating pattern. It is as symmetrical as I can make it.

In this third photo, each corner vertex of my plane is snapped to the center origin of the respective fan shape.

fourth is how my normal map looks after baking

Finally, here are the weird seam issues that result when I put an array on this plane. It's as if the normal map is cutting off exactly where that blank space is.

When I have baked in substance for my other textures, sometimes there are blank spaces like this on the normal map, but they never cause an issue when I eventually use them on planes in Blender/UE4
I've been trying this for 2 days--different ray distances, different spacing for the pattern, changing position and size of the plane, asking friends, Googling and nothing has solved it yet. Hoping someone can help, thanks a bunch :)

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I'd just fix the UV's on the plane so you don't have that blank space
  • finnrsg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd just fix the UV's on the plane so you don't have that blank space
    Okay, I did this and the UVs look fine now. No blank space and the plane lines up with the normal map perfectly... And it still did basically the exact same thing lol. I added another fan-pattern down the y-axis to fill the empty space. It just ends up looking like this, and I don't really understand? I can keep moving it down in really small increments but I just can't figure out what I did fundamentally wrong to make this happen. Thanks for responding, though!

• lluc21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 polycounter lvl 5
    The problem I see is that you're baking the normal map with empty spaces in the high poly (holes between tiles), because of this the edge padding is extending the color of the border pixel and the extension doesn't match when tiled.

You can try a few things. What I would do is adding a plane behind the high poly tiles so that it bakes well, without padding and with actual information there.

What you can also try is using photoshop to clone the shape from the baked normal map on top and bottom of your normal map, so that it is continuous, sort of like this: This would be a "hackish" way of doing it and IMO not a good solution, you should try to fix the issues in the origin while you can.

Also, like sprunghunt mentioned, in this case you should really be using 100% of UV space.
  • finnrsg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc21 said:
    The problem I see is that you're baking the normal map with empty spaces in the high poly (holes between tiles), because of this the edge padding is extending the color of the border pixel and the extension doesn't match when tiled.

You can try a few things. What I would do is adding a plane behind the high poly tiles so that it bakes well, without padding and with actual information there.

What you can also try is using photoshop to clone the shape from the baked normal map on top and bottom of your normal map, so that it is continuous, sort of like this: This would be a "hackish" way of doing it and IMO not a good solution, you should try to fix the issues in the origin while you can.

Also, like sprunghunt mentioned, in this case you should really be using 100% of UV space.
    Hey, thanks! Some combination of fixing the UVs/using a plane underneath the high polys/adjusting positions again worked, and it tiles. I appreciate the help :)