Home Career & Education

Ditching Projects like a boss

It's been a month and I ditched 10 projects so far and still going. Binge-watch Ted Talk motivational videos and also read some books, tried to make a schedule as well but nothing's working. Is there anything I could do?

Replies

• sharsein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sharsein polycounter lvl 9
    If the projects provide no value to you, there's no harm in ditching them. Keep a backlog of a project ideas. When you get an idea, instead of starting right away, put it in the backlog. When you have time to work on a project, ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish. Then you can look over your backlog and pick the project that best fits that goal. This also helps define a done state for your project. I have a personal jira account with sprints for personal work because I'm a nerd, but the point is to only commit to projects that are actually worth the time.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Probably suggest giving this a read:

Which as an aside, points 3 and 4 were pertinent insights regarding my individual circumstance, in that whilst being off work throughout the majority of this extremely forgettable year. I decided too learn albeit starting right from scratch an alternative digital drawing technique, only recently completing a 'test' <proof of concept> illustration, after spending 10 months persevering with it.

Personally, motivation didn't even enter the picture (no pun intended) therein I'll unequivocally state, that the key overarching aspect was the sheer unrelenting challenge finishing a subjectively opined quality outcome, period.

Basically, not too dissimilar when finalising a client deliverable.               
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'm 13 years into a mech model I'll never actually finish,. When you've reached that point you're allowed to feel bad about it
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe you need a break/rest?
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Take a break? Find other activities to engage in for a while, practice healthy habits, give your brain a chance to miss the art-creation process. It's amazing the amount of creativity and inspiration/motivation your brain can conjure up with a simple vacation away from the every day grind.  
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Yeah by all means, veg out on the sofa, walk the cat or take a cookery class but fomenting a habit of rounding off something end to end sooner rather than later, would be an attribute I'd willingly sell my soul for a chance too time travel and attain as one's much younger self.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Just make something small, or make it on a smaller scale. A diorama, hallway, or small room. If you want to work on materials, just do that, or a small prop.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Do something small. Get used to finishing things again.
    Let's say you make an environment. A cave for example. Just sculpt a rock. Polish the rock and push it so you could present it as it's own asset. Once you get into the loop of finishing things again, you can slowly start to step it up.

Because if you quit everything, you won't learn how to finish things. And to not be daunting, do something small. It's a good way to get into it again and I did that myself.

And maybe take a break as others suggested, that might help too. Take a week off, go outside. Have a good time. Come back focused and go at it.