Home Technical Talk

Prop and Texture Atlas question

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
xblastradiusx polycounter lvl 16
Im torn on these props. Im wondering if I should make a group texture atlas setup A, B, and C or have the props in there own sheet separately? Either way I want decent resolution. Any suggestions? BTW the character will have the camera behind him Resident Evil 4 style,

Replies

• jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    From an optimization standpoint, its best to put to them in one giant atlas.
  • xblastradiusx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket said:
    From an optimization standpoint, its best to put to them in one giant atlas.

So make an atlas for props group A, B, C and so on in the pic?
  • xblastradiusx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the textures setup like this now. Small items are in one sheet and the bigger items are in another. Would this be a good setup going forward?

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    20 years ago we did those big atlases and prioritized texel size to fit a group of objects in one texture page to save on draw calls and  sampling  based on how hierarchical (grouped) lods are build in a scene.     Now it should be texture array techniques in an engine  and outside of an artist care  but you have to ask your programmers.      For  mobile games it still might be necessary 

• xblastradiusx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop said:
    20 years ago we did those big atlases and prioritized texel size to fit a group of objects in one texture page to save on draw calls and  sampling  based on how hierarchical (grouped) lods are build in a scene.     Now it should be texture array techniques in an engine  and outside of an artist care  but you have to ask your programmers.      For  mobile games it still might be necessary 

Yeah i dunno. Im just using Unreal 4

• poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Split them up by usage

Eg. If the stuff that goes on the shelves is on a different texture from the shelves you can swap the stuff for other stuff more efficiently