Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[DONE] Ancient Greek House [UE4]

triangle
Offline / Send Message
DanielOR triangle
Hello there!
Im Daniel Olondriz, an Environment & Texture artist.
This is my first post on Polycount, so I apologize in advance if I do something wrong.
This post is to showcase my last work, a modular environment inspired by ancient greek houses.
The point of this project was to show my ability with modular environments and and optimized trim materials.
You can check the full project here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rAv5LG

Replies

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    This looks great, i really think you've made full use of your trimsheets. The benches and wood furniture were also made with the use of trimsheets?

My only critique, is that this reminds me more of a roman house than greek. Specially with that purple color banners with the V and olive crown.
  • DanielOR
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielOR triangle
    Thanks! Indeed, All of the assets, except for the foliage, are done with these trimsheets. Pillow details are just done with a second uv channel overlayed.
    I see where you are coming from. To be honest, I did some research to get it as historically accurate as I could, but this scene has some elements that where shared or often more used in roman eras.
    The overall structure is of a perystilum, often used and seen in roman domus, however Greeks also used this during the hellenistic era. Both columns and top frames are also based on Doric greek temples. Since I wanted to go for some contrast with colors, I went for a tyrian puprle with the banners and curtains, which was very popular among royalty in ancient greek and rome (we often see it in media worn by Ceasar, that's why its often related with ancient rome). The wheat/olive wreath symbol was also used both by romans and greeks. Probably the most misleading thing is the V in the banners, which I just added there to get a clean icon on them, yet there is no V in ancient greek alphabet, and thus it's probably historically inaccurate.
    I'm not a historian, so I may have gotten some things wrong, so I appreciate the feedback on it!
    Glad you like it and thanks for the critique!
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Hey, good work! I am from Greece so prepare to be critiqued by culture inaccuracies :) Your 3d work is nice but the overall feel of it for me does not really say "Greek". In a nutshell I would say that you took care of your props but not your reference which is equally important, as I can see you have the technical skills! So, let's get to it!

Lots of white, then blue are the colors you need when you talk about Greece, number 1 rule :)
    secondary colors bordeaux and gold. You can search for Parthenon colors to get a grasp of the color palette.Even if you type ancient greek colors on google you have the perfect palette, right as the 1st picture. Sometimes it might be etter to stick with what is the popular opinion on what constitutes the style you are going for, if you don't really have the proper information.
    The lights and the tables seem modern for the era, and the columns should be the iconic prop of your scene that screams "Greek", so going for a simple style was probably not the best choice.The 3 most popular styles are: ionian order, doric order, and mycenaean civilization. Your scene layout seems to be set in mycenaean civilization's style,which was set in Creta island, and it used to be more open and festive, but the props state otherwise.
    Also a good idea would be to grab some google images of greek mythology and deities, create some masks out of it, and paint your scene with figures, as greeks were very creative in general. 
    Last but not least, clay pots and amphoras were widely used and scream "ancient" ! 
    Overall I would agree with previous reply, that it seems more roman, than Greek!
  • DanielOR
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielOR triangle

Thanks for the comment! Damn, it seems like I really messed up with a lot of things here and got my references wrong. Thank you for pointing out all the mistakes I made, I thought I got some things right but, as you have explained there is a lack of cohesion between them. I’ll probably switch the title of the project to Roman Villa. This proves that there is always room to improve and that you learn something new every day!

Thanks!

• DanielOR
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielOR triangle
    Small update time! Based on some feedback I relit the whole scene for a more realistic look!