Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old lady's ghost - Zbrush project- ask for critique

Kat777
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kat777 polycounter lvl 2
Hello Guys. It's my first post here. I would like to ask you for critique, because I have no idea what is wrong with this project. Could you help me? Everything was sculpted in Zbrush, textured in Substance Painter, remeshed in Blender, rendered also in Zbrush, postprocessed in Photoshop. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OoPzkJ

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    C&C towards the entire pages information.
    Hi, (addressing her info box on artstation, valid)
    Seems spirtual practice is under attack as of late, probably a breaking down of peoples "hopes" and securities also.  Sry they did this to you, lot of things similar going around.

TLDR(users), chalk it up to a loss and try again, focus on 1 thing not 5 or more at the same time.

LONG:
    Looks like a nice amount of work, congrats, with that said though and even i dislike such a critic to be said when i've also put countless hours into a project. (so i know it sucks.) Is that what i would nitpick about as far as a visual appeal and critic would go is that the textures seem flat and very colorless.  I get it grave sites or similar area's seem dull and drab but not always, i see the mood you are going for then, some sort of depressive state since her family did not come to see her so she is somewhat in misery thinking they finally forgot about her or don't care to come see her.

A lot of the objects details read to me as, yea this is good enough to me should be fine.  Which i think is the problem for me and anyone else taking on a lot at the same time, the attention is being pulled to each object trying to make it all work together.
    Focus for a much more detailed and tighter appearance on each object seems to have been lost in the mix, i've recently learned this also.  Creating entire scene's is a different level of work.
    Bascially saying should have worked on each thing seperately as a single piece for the entire portfolio learning what makes each object unique and "great" so it can stand alone on the portfolio and speak volumes to the viewers clicking on your work.
    In an attempt to shorten this long winded post, should have found people who excel at each piece and focus matching your work to theirs.  So an environment guy who focus's or at least have some mazing looking stone work then the grave stone would stand out really nicely, then same for the flower and the clothing then the ladies skin, then the hair of the lady.  Each one seeking a "pro" piece of work where you say to yourself, wow i really like that skin, then attempt to accomplish those tasks and maybe even request some assistance from said user.  (Some do not respond so i get it, plus lots of tuts out there for skin and such.)

Its only been 2 weeks and i get the same situation no one likes things and its fine, can't please everyone and some people utilise their connections to make their works stand out more and get stuck in trending a bit of $ helps also.. but anywho, what i'd do even if it sucks is take it down in about another week or so (or when ever you want or even leave it up) redo things you think might be done better and tackle the project again with new fresh eyes but this time maybe taking into account the above.  <- You could do that OR start a new project and make it simple.  Maybe only focus on anatomy or rocks, your attention is being pulled in to many directions is what this piece is telling me.

The meaning is a touching one and some people stear away from religious pieces entirely (audience included) as the viewers and authors might feel a certain way so to be safe not interacting with the piece is the bests option for some as some believe some don't or they have their own beliefs and if that doesn't fit into their artwork excitement they won't like it, not that the artwork is bad its a touchy subject for most.

Hope it helps, i think its pretty neat since you aren't a pro labeled user your works get pushed down in the newly posted artworks down about 17 rows (last i counted) once pro users post their works so the lack of attention is mostly from that besides the personal feels i mentioned from the viewing audience.

Good luck i'd say either put more time into this if you think you should or just move onto something else and just chalk it up to a loss and hope later on people come around and click the work to offer up more helpful C&c.

Sry for the long post i just like to be detailed, some say i am wasting time, i figure one post who've put in the time to actually attempt a proper critique could go along way.
    2 each their own.
    Edit: you seem to be good at jewlery so maybe more focus on being a jewlery artist? idk but that looks nice to me, skin of the character is also good just isnt tight as others.

• Kat777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kat777 polycounter lvl 2
    Helo David. I'm totally suprised that someone has responded for my post and I'm really grateful! I think you are right, yes, colors are flat and the details should be better. I also will focus on less objects at the same time, a few days ago I decided to join Polycount October-December Art Challenge, so right now I'm preparing some elements for a character's costume. I hope that this time a quality of my work will be better. Funny thing about what you mantion about religious topics - I'm atheist and I thought that the art will be only symbolic. Once again  thank you very much for your time and detailed review.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Nothing wrong with this, your assets are great. It's the lighting, composition and approach that need a reset. I suggest trying something like this for presentation. You wouldn't have to remodel much, you could keep your outfit, I just tried to kitbash something together to show the composition. The lighting and effects are also very heavy handed, but just showed the overall direction...you could dial it back if you didn't want to take it that far, only new assets would be wall brick (or you could find something and composite and the wall vines). Forgive my photoshop hacking...it's mainly just to give you an idea to jump towards as I believe this kind of composition will be much stronger, feature your assets better, and give a better sense of storytelling. 

Or you could even get a creepy backlit version so you can really push the eyes and the mood. Try some different things out in a scene....see what works best. 

• Kat777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kat777 polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Pixelpatron! Thank you very much for your comment. Wow your version looks really cool, nice idea and the wall makes a difference :) Thank you for your effort and all the advises!