Home Career & Education

Courses for sculpting realistic face (hesitating)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Stensword polycounter lvl 3

I want to get better at modeling faces and aside from pure practice with references I really want to try a course by a professional. I am hesitating between likeness sculpting with Frank Tzeng (charactere artist for the last of us and uncharted and yes, I use Zbrush) andthis book about facial expressions which was recommended to me.

There is another book that is about to come out next month which will be more suited to me (I feel I lack fundamentals for sculpting the face (here is pictures of the 4 last sculpt I made)) (make ultra realistic characters)

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Have you looked at Raf Grasetti's Gumroad yet?  He has competing cirriculum that would be relevant to your interests.

That Anatomy 4 Sculptors book is probably going to be the best foundationally given your current skill level.
  • Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you looked at Raf Grasetti's Gumroad yet?  He has competing cirriculum that would be relevant to your interests.

That Anatomy 4 Sculptors book is probably going to be the best foundationally given your current skill level.
    In term of pure face fundamental excluding the expression I believe the next coming book (in december) will be more suited to my skills needs (form of the head and neck). I would like to KNOW what special feature make a face an asian face, african, old, young, what special landmarks creat that specific ethnic and age feeling... And I think this next coming book goes in depth into those kind of stuff.
    So I think as I'll wait for it I'll buy this other course so I can exercise my eyes to see special subtle features that define "who's the face".

And I believe that's the other main skill to developpe, to train one observation skill to be able to spot each details that define the whole "physical identity".
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero
    I believe this is your wheelhouse.
  • DebendraRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about signing up for a free 3 day Gnomon trial & accessing the tutorials there by Hosein Diba, Zac Petroc or the one on sculpting head planes by John Brown? There's also New Masters Academy & Stan Winston School that have courses dealing with the head. 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Interesting word "wheelhouse" lol @Brian "Panda" Choi  , @DebendraRoy already did pretty good job ,  I could add Philippe Faraut book/dvds  and book by Nikolai Li Golova cheloveka: Osnovy uchebnogo akademicheskogo risunka
    Of course there are bunch of free stuff on the net which are enough to teach you how to block a simple head

• Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DebendraRoy and @carvuliero thank you so much for all those priceless source of learning you just gave... Now I am even more hesitating lol, but I had already planed to get a gnomon subscription for Vitaly's course, thou now I know who else I should watch for there. 
  • Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

About the raf grasseti course, I have it, it's amazing for the overall anatomy and workflow efficiency. And for the head he will learn the basic anatomy but we spent very little time on making likeness, but definitely a worthy course to get started on anatomy. After completing it, it's just a matter of taking a lot of reference for body and practice (which I do)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero
    Have you happened across any mateerials breaking down all the pore shapes, styles, and location/zones on the facee in ONE learning resourcee/website? 

I'm working a contract right now where I couldn't use scan data for speed reasons, but realized I had very little reesourcecs on hand about what and where to place which type of pores from ALL the skin brushes I downloaded over the years. 
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Hey @Brian "Panda" Choi 
    If I have to give you practice advice then get a skin scan add bunch of filters in photoshop till you can actually see the pores and their direction and either learn them or use as map [example below
    About material/tutorials :
    I know of this one David Frylund Otzen VFX Modelling - Head displacement sculpting
    and I remember student of mine telling about this kris costa fly on the wall studio.more specifically african warrior / custom brushes and sculpting pores by hand but I havent seen it myself so I cant confirm
    A little extra probably not directly relevant but I guess good to know [the other side of the same coin color] Cara Phillips Ultraviolet Photographs

• DebendraRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stensword said:

About the raf grasseti course, I have it, it's amazing for the overall anatomy and workflow efficiency. And for the head he will learn the basic anatomy but we spent very little time on making likeness, but definitely a worthy course to get started on anatomy. After completing it, it's just a matter of taking a lot of reference for body and practice (which I do)
    If you've already got learning materials on head structure, I don't know that any likeness sculpting videos will add much more beyond taking specific measurements, dealing with perspective distortion, flipping reference occasionally for a fresh view, using plumb lines... etc.? For instance, there are tons of measurements & photos which Madame Tussauds artists take to get the likeness.

Like I said on the other thread, I'm a beginner as well. So I may be way off. But It seems that getting a likeness is more akin to using the sight-size method in drawing. There's no real secret sauce, except tons of practice. Which is why I suggested getting trials so you don't end up feeling like you unnecessarily spent money.

Having said that, there's always the chance that even if the overall tutorial isn't what you hoped for, there's some 30 second comment or technique that changes how you look at things, :) . (For instance, in a watercolor portrait tutorial on YT by Charles Reid, he mentioned how he looks at shorter distances between smaller plane changes on the face to capture likeness, rather than major landmarks. That stuck with me.)

In that spirit, maybe this has some bits and bobs that could help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdh99Y_GEE

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w8yrQO

https://www.artstation.com/dazp/blog/o49/using-lighting-to-help-with-capturing-a-human-likeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izylLJzwc40

There's also Julian Khor on YT who has an entire playlist for sculpting a Bruce Lee likeness. 

The trouble is, unless someone has specifically watched the course by Frank Tzeng, it's difficult to say. The YT comments on his trailer aren't very encouraging. No doubt, he's a fantastic artist. But is he a good teacher?

Sorry if this is all unnecessary blabbering, & not what you sought when you posted the thread. Cheers!
  • Stensword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if this is all unnecessary blabbering, & not what you sought when you posted the thread. Cheers!
    Unnecessary bladdering ?? WTF ? And don't be sorry ! The information you provided are nothing short of extremely useful ! Now I have so much information to help me attain the sculpting level that I seek, this is way better than helping me choosing between 2 things, this is expanding my awareness of learning opportunity and there is nothing better than that lol.. 

And about the video course, I bought it, and it is absolutely not that bad, indeed it show how a professional does to materialize mandatory detail that allow a recognition of a particular face. I haven't finished the course yet (it is 16 hours long), I am just starting the level 2 subd but this really train your observation muscle. This course allow to work hard confidently.

And again thanks for all the golden learning links you provided, I haven't gone through all of them but I certainly will when I am done with the frank tzeng course.
  • DebendraRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Glad you found both my post, & Frank Tzeng's tutorial useful. Good luck!