Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Female Bust, Need C&C

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Quxera polycounter lvl 4
Hello people, so I'll just explain my situation a little bit. I am just a hobbyist with no art background. Been doing this for 3 years now, my first sculptures were really bad, I am a bit more proud sculptor now tho.

Anyways, I have been stuck at this stage for a while now. I can't seem to improve as much anymore. At least I don't / can't see it. What I want to do with sculpting is I want to be able to make realistic-looking busts. It doesn't necessarily have to have like pores and such but good forms like the old sculptures made out of stone.

What I need, if you can be so kind, is an analysis of the image beloved with preferable lines specifically pointing me at what I could work on in order to achieve the before mentioned look. Because I found that "work on the jaw" doesn't really help me much. 

Sorry, this is a long one and thank you already! 

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Quxera said:
    I am a hobbyist with no art background. Been doing this for 3 years now

I have been stuck at this stage for a while now. 
    I want to be able to make realistic-looking busts.
    like the old sculptures made out of stone.

What I need an analysis of the image beloved below with preferable lines specifically pointing me at what I could work on in order to achieve the before mentioned look. Because I found that "work on the jaw" doesn't really help me much. 
    Beautiful structure or general structure, are you using references, which?
    I should sticky this link you might've already used these references if not you should.

Overlayed your design over the image, wasn't going to attempt every side so i only do the front it takes time by its self.   Allowing for others to critique the othersides.
    Something about the side view you have looks off to me.
    Two different heads and structures yea but location would be close and they somewhat are so you decide.
    With this gif you can see the forehead details are somewhat missing.  Ears seem higher (unless its the way you took the image, perspective or not, idk.)

Hope it helps you are very close, looks alright to me other than the forehead landmarks.
    Good luck for a hobbyist looks good.
    Do what you think is best, i am no pro.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
  • Quxera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quxera polycounter lvl 4
    DavidCruz said:
    Quxera said:
    I am a hobbyist with no art background. Been doing this for 3 years now

I have been stuck at this stage for a while now. 
    I want to be able to make realistic-looking busts.
    like the old sculptures made out of stone.

What I need an analysis of the image beloved below with preferable lines specifically pointing me at what I could work on in order to achieve the before mentioned look. Because I found that "work on the jaw" doesn't really help me much. 
    Beautiful structure or general structure, are you using references, which?
    I should sticky this link you might've already used these references if not you should.

Overlayed your design over the image, wasn't going to attempt every side so i only do the front it takes time by its self.   Allowing for others to critique the othersides.
    Something about the side view you have looks off to me.
    Two different heads and structures yea but location would be close and they somewhat are so you decide.
    With this gif you can see the forehead details are somewhat missing.  Ears seem higher (unless its the way you took the image, perspective or not, idk.)

Hope it helps you are very close, looks alright to me other than the forehead landmarks.
    Good luck for a hobbyist looks good.
    Do what you think is best, i am no pro.
    First of thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. 

I am aware of the artstation page you have but I was unaware of the specific picture. Thank you it actually helps quite a lot.  I am using references, yet I am awful at likeness, I think for this sculpt I was looking at Nately Portman and Charlette Hope. Not entirely sure. 

Yeah, so the side view is apparently off. Thanks to the other commenter carvuliero I was able to see what's wrong. Forehead, head I totally did not spend as much time as I should have. So you are right. 

So thank you again for the constructive reply I wasn't sure someone would take the time and help!

Hey carvuliero, thank you so very much for taking the time and showing me all of these. It really does mean a lot. Since I am a hobbyist, I don't have people around me to ask and get feedback from. Your overlay was very very very helpful. 

• I did not have a good reason to have a wide jaw, I thought it wasn't wide enough in fact. So that helps.
    • Side view correction is such an eye-opener. It is very hard to see that kind of mistake without someone pointing it out. Because there isn't anything I can relate back to.
    • Nose bit; increasing the angle would cause a smaller nose. Correct me if I am wrong. I was kinda going for a bigger than standard look. 
    • Also, the back of the skull stuff is also really helpful.

OK, thank you again. Brilliant stuff. I am so grateful!
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Angle thing is for corner of the eye
    Nose in this view looks to me like a 2 story mexican pyramid with cut top and and another pyramid for a base , more simply put 2 triangles with top cut

• Quxera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quxera polycounter lvl 4
    Hello good people!

I am once again asking for your advice. Please be specific if you want to help. "Work on the cheeks" doesn't help me in this case because at this stage is all I can do. 

I am very bad at the eyebrow area, it takes me a lot of testing to get it right. I still don't know what I am doing in that area. Also the shape of the skull. Especially the temporal area. Please help me understand them more.

Please note the images are orthographic.

Another thing I need advice on;

Different sources of material confuse me... One says the widest point of the head is the skull bit. One says the zygomatic bone that goes to your ear hole. I have one "anatomy ecorche  " on that one the back of the skull is different than other ones...  One says the head should be 5 eyes. But usually, when I have a decent head it is not 5 eyes... And when I make it 5 eyes and change the proportions it doesn't look right. I am confused.  Now I understand everyone is different and there can be differences. But when a book ( anatomy for sculptors ) says the widest point is here. And I get a well-received ecorche model it shows me something else... Anyways, care to help me out on this? Don't know what to believe. 

• Quxera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quxera polycounter lvl 4
    Also please ignore the ears, they are terrible. I lack the geometry at this moment.