Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Critique

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
LukeAnimation polycounter lvl 3

Hello

I was wondering if I could receive feedback on my animations provided in the link below. I am only responsible for the animation in this video.

https://vimeo.com/422459871

1. Biped Walk Cycle
2. Biped Run Cycle
3. Attack Animation
4. Quadruped Walk Cycle
5. Quadruped Run Cycle
6. Idle Cycle

Many Thanks

Luke

Replies

• Rafael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafael polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work Luke ! All the animations are working well and are all good excercises to accomplish. Just a suggestion for presentation, it would be better if you could show the different angles for the same animations in one take. So on the right side you can have the side on camera walk and on the left the front angle. It will speed up the pace of the reel to be more engaging, it can be boring to watch the same animation twice multiple times.

The walk is nice. I would suggest to loosen up the hips a little, especially let them move side to side weight shifting a bit more. A touch of rotation on the hips would be great to. The feet feel really soft in the landing against the ground, especially from the front cam. I think you can make it more punchy by speeding it up a few frames. After the heel makes contact you can snap the foot flat to the ground in 1-2 frames. 

The run is cool, but the torso feels jittery. I think the torso is doing too much in general, making it more stiff and focusing the energy of the movement on the limbs might work better for a robot character. Also, having the front feet land on the ball of the foot instead of the heel would make it feel more like a sprint. 

The attack is slow overall, it would be nicer if the anim was quicker and more punchy. Goes for both the anticipation and the attack moment. Also, more accurate anim on the feet and weight shifting during the action will help the shot. It would be nice to see the build up of momentum in the hips, then the drive of power through the hips and torso and into the arm, mechanically speaking. 

The quadruped walk is nice, but I think for the speed he's walking at the front foot would peel off the ground sooner when the back foot is coming forwards. Like one or two frames sooner. I think it would feel more accurate (this is off the top of my head, I'd mostly suggests studying some reference for accuracy). 

The sprint is a bit slow and doesn't feel mechanically correct. The head and spine connection is key for quadruped runs so I'd suggest matching some reference and nailing this action. 

Good luck and keep improving !

• LukeAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much.
  • brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    Nice, I had the same issue when I first started animating runs, it was hard to get a dynamic powerful feel and it looked more like a jog.

This guy has a cool breakdown of the timing and posing of a run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOvnmHslSw

Keep up the good work.

• LukeAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message