Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] 3D Environment Art - Hidden Grove

Brandon_KyT
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Brandon_KyT polycounter lvl 2
My work in progress piece inspired by jjpeabody's "Upkept Ruins". Went a bit of a different route with the lighting to give the foreground some life. I'd say this is about the alpha stage of the project. Feedback is always really appreciated :) [edit: made a few lighting tweaks]

Replies

• Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Did another lighting pass, re-did the arches and tweaked a lot of other things. The red roses look a bit too fake, so I plan on re-doing those soon as well. Let me know what you think!

• Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly pushing up the overall quality of the scene, foreground is gonna need some work haha. Let me know what you think!

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    It took me a while to figure out that there's a waterfall on the left. Its a bit too white imo.
    The interpenetrating slabs on the top right could and should be avoided. Also the main light seems to be front-right (front meaning in front of the camera) but there is some light that casts shadows from the left on those slabs. For such a small scene i would bake the lighting in order to get better overall results.
  • Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    It took me a while to figure out that there's a waterfall on the left. Its a bit too white imo.
    The interpenetrating slabs on the top right could and should be avoided. Also the main light seems to be front-right (front meaning in front of the camera) but there is some light that casts shadows from the left on those slabs. For such a small scene i would bake the lighting in order to get better overall results.
    Thanks man, i've actually never used baked light before so i'll give it a go and get back to you
  • Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entering the polishing phase. Gotta touch up a few areas, do a final bake with high settings and than the final screens!

• Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polished and baked! Getting super close to a finished product : ). Might do one more lighting pass but it's about time I wrapped this one up. Let me know what you think!

• Brandon_KyT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The final screens for "Hidden Grove". It'll be up on Art Station with a brief breakdown tomorrow :)

Since the scene was so condensed, it was comprised mostly of assets that were sculpted down and given unique normal maps. Aside from the pink lily pad flowers and the purple nodding violets, everything was created using Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Photoshop and Speed Tree. Lighting and color grading was done in UE4. Much of the foliage were quad draws from textures I found online which were made into things like the roses, vines etc.