polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Cirmius polycounter lvl 3
Hi!
I made an ear in Zbrush. Looks like this:

Dynameshing it make holes. Other solutions make flat area like this:

Things I tried but didin't help:
-Cycle of dynameshing, inflate brush and pinch brush
-Duplicating ear, moving it back a little bit, switching sides of polygons on it and then dynamesh
-Closing edges with Zbrush

Also Dynamesh make another polygroup if flat area happens.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can't dynamesh a 2d object like that - You should give your ear a backface first. All of your problems are because it fills in the hole on the back of the object first.  
  • Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't dynamesh a 2d object like that - You should give your ear a backface first. All of your problems are because it fills in the hole on the back of the object first.  

As I said: I duplicated an ear, moved it a little bit and backfaced it to make a 3D object, but Dynamesh then also makes flat areas. Or I misunderstood and I have to connect them in some other way than Dymanesh?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Dynamesh works best with "water tight" volumes. It can try to automatically fill in a hole if they exist, but it's going to take the shortest route possible and it isn't going to be smart about it. This is where the problem begins. 

Dynamesh is going to bridge it nice and planar, straight across the hole, which means these new faces will intersect with the ear canal since it is naturally pushed inwards. It is this type of self-intersection (non-manifold) that creates the "swiss cheese" effect, and so this is why you're seeing the holes along the border of the intersection. 

Solution: Manually close the hole before using dynamesh, or at least extend the edges a bit so that any bridging will avoid the canals. This way you can close and avoid any self-intersections.   

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I'd try taking a box object forming it to what you have already subdivid it like 2-3 times and trying to reproject it to the box, you'll have to fix it up but at quick read and thought it's what i would try at least but yea not the best way to go about it and at least you learned what not to do in the future. :)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Cirmius said:

As I said: I duplicated an ear, moved it a little bit and backfaced it to make a 3D object, but Dynamesh then also makes flat areas. Or I misunderstood and I have to connect them in some other way than Dymanesh?
    If you "backfaced it" why can you see through the back of the model? 

The much longer explanation from Cyrid is correct and what I was trying to explain. 
  • Cirmius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cirmius said:

If you "backfaced it" why can you see through the back of the model? 

The much longer explanation from Cyrid is correct and what I was trying to explain. 
    The screenshot was for the clarity of the problem. Well.... :P
    cryrid said:
    Dynamesh works best with "water tight" volumes. It can try to automatically fill in a hole if they exist, but it's going to take the shortest route possible and it isn't going to be smart about it. This is where the problem begins. 

Dynamesh is going to bridge it nice and planar, straight across the hole, which means these new faces will intersect with the ear canal since it is naturally pushed inwards. It is this type of self-intersection (non-manifold) that creates the "swiss cheese" effect, and so this is why you're seeing the holes along the border of the intersection. 

Solution: Manually close the hole before using dynamesh, or at least extend the edges a bit so that any bridging will avoid the canals. This way you can close and avoid any self-intersections.   

Thanks for the explanation <3<3! I really appreciate it. My final solution was to zremesh plane of an ear and its duplicated back-faced version, then I made a connection with zmodeler.