Home Technical Talk

Displacement Map slider

Lorenzo444
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Lorenzo444 polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys i have doubt about the displacement slider. I follow the workflow Mari -> Zbrush, so i exported my red displace  map from mari (8192x8192 16 bit SRGB) and i imported in zbrush from the alpha palette and flip v. I have seen many tutorials and i always see that they put in intensity slider a value around 0.1 and 0.5 for red , green and blue channel but if i put this numbers is too high and  the mesh "explode" with a very bad displacement ( even if a i press Mode) and i have to put something like 0.003 which for me, in my opinion, is very low. I don t know why this happen and i don t know if it's correct like this or there is something wrong with the workflow. Second doubt about the mid Grey in Mari, i put a fill layer with this values to correct the parts where i don't want the Displace, are they correct ? i am asking this second question because i want to make sure that is not related with the first doubt that i have. Can someone help me to clarify please?  Thank you

Replies

• carrottoptw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carrottoptw polycounter lvl 4
    Don't think theres anytime wrong with the workflow, I've had a few projects where i've had to put the intensity way down similar to your numbers.  But then most of the time its in the 0.5 area. (I wanna say its a zbrush export scene scale thing perhaps but I doubt it for some reason ha).  If you're getting similar results to what you've seen in a tutorial with 0.003 intensity for skin displacement from Mari then it looks like its doing the job and probably nothing to worry about.

Yeah I usually put a 50% grey fill layer as a base to paint out any displacement I don't want (eyelids, nostrils, etc) so again, you're doing the right thing :)  Hope it all goes well
  • Lorenzo444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lorenzo444 polycounter lvl 5
    Don't think theres anytime wrong with the workflow, I've had a few projects where i've had to put the intensity way down similar to your numbers.  But then most of the time its in the 0.5 area. (I wanna say its a zbrush export scene scale thing perhaps but I doubt it for some reason ha).  If you're getting similar results to what you've seen in a tutorial with 0.003 intensity for skin displacement from Mari then it looks like its doing the job and probably nothing to worry about.

Yeah I usually put a 50% grey fill layer as a base to paint out any displacement I don't want (eyelids, nostrils, etc) so again, you're doing the right thing :)  Hope it all goes well

Thank you so much for reply me , maybe you're right, there is nothing to worry about :)