Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Mattia Vuch

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Whoolkan polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, my name is Mattia Vuch, I am a 3D Artist focused on Hard Surface, in particular props and weapons.
I've been working a lot lately to expand my portfolio and I want to use this digital sketchbook to post my process and for comments, critiques and advice, I'd greatly appreciate it if you let me know what you think and what I could improve.

First project is a Mosin Nagant 91/30 I did back in Feb 2020 (here the project on ArtStation )

Replies

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still shots from the same project:

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second project was the German Stielhandgranate m24 ( link to project here )

In this one I tried to have two models that use the same texture maps, the Anti Tank and standard version of the grenade. In the Anti tank version the grenade heads are clones of the main one in the center and share the same identical UV space, so the textures are the same but repetition is broken up a bit by simply rotating those locally. The wire is not used in the standard version but I just had enough UV space to fit it in so to use the single texture as efficiently as I could.

turntable videos can be found HERE and HERE , about 24mb each, those are the same videos found in my Artstation project page of this grenade.

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next up is the Russian RGD - 33 grenade, in use during WWII. You can see the entire project HERE which has also gifs for the texture maps.
    For this I modelled two versions, a VFX ready and a Game ready one. The main difference is that the VFX ready has the fragmentation sleeve with geometry more closely matching the hipoly version of the model and the sleeve itself is separated from the actual grenade head. There are also some extra pieces in the bottom of the grenade head that the Game ready is missing entirely for the sake of polygon count (about 40% less than the VFX ready). 

A quick video HERE of the sleeve coming off and the grenade head unscrewing (about 24mb, it's the same video on the Artstation project page)

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After the RGD - 33 I had another bunch of grenades on my list of things to model and I decided to do a project with 3 of them that had something in common, a UZRGM - 2 fuze. The grenades are respectively a F1, RG - 42 and a RGD - 5 models. ArtStation project link here

First a turntable of the 3 grenades, HERE, (about 24mb - you can see it at the top of the ArtStation project page linked above)

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current project that is work in progress: Pasadena Automag 180

I'm done with the low poly and UV's with the gun. I'm splitting it in 3 different parts and pieces as I plan to show the internals while partially disassembled and make variants of  some pieces like different lengths of the barrel, grips and some custom mods (like barrel, sights, bolt, hammer, trigger, grip etc)

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've just completed the hi-poly part of the AN/PRC6 military radio, some screengrabs here

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly of the PRC 6 Radio done, with a simple uv layout to do a test bake

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hipoly modeling of the Handset for the PRC6

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back again after a few days of feeling not very well, got also some big issues with painter not wanting to bake the mesh maps as they were so I'm working now on the entire model split in different parts and then recombining the textures into a single one later on.

For now I'm laying down some basic material, there's a lot of more texture work to do. Quick and dirty renders inside painter

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on the radio materials, labels and wear and tear

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing the sharpie mark for the frequency

• Whoolkan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wear and tear of the main body, blocking out main areas.
    The metal underneath needs some love to make it more believable so then i can get the same procedural base and apply it to smaller parts and reduce the work needed for fine tuning