Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - No UVs after Dynameshing

ShinKaiser
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ShinKaiser polycounter lvl 5
I wonder if anyone can help me with this issue I have. I'm a complete novice when it comes to ZBrush so please go easy on me.

I have a model composed of may different parts in Maya. I've completely UV'd all of it to different UDIMS. What I intend to do is export this as an OBJ, import into ZBrush, add some high poly detail, then export as an FBX into substance painter, then bake out the maps so the high poly detail is projected onto the low poly model.

Pretty straightforward? Well after I exported into ZBrush, I dynameshed some parts to make the sculpting look a lot better, I reimported into Maya to makes sure all is OK and I found that all of the bits that I dynameshed have now lost their UVs.

Is there any way I can rectify this without having to resculpt my model again in ZBrush. I read somewhere that to achieve my goal, the high poly model doesn't actually need UVs but I can't find a guide anywhere that tells me what I need to do. Can I just use the high poly in substance painter without UVs as the high poly model. Will this work? 

Many thanks in advance!

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Dynamesh creates entirely new geometry so it's only normal that your uv will be destroyed. High poly meshes (the source in your bake) doesn't need UVs at all. What you can do now, is use your original parts, pre-Zbrush with UVs as your low poly and your dynameshed high poly models  as the source for your bakes. And texture work on the original parts, the high poly's only purpose is to be used to transfer information to the low poly, like the normal and AO, etc.
  • ShinKaiser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShinKaiser polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the advice  - it's been most helpful and I've sorted my issue - Thank you!!