Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Amazon Warrior

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
wHromek polycounter lvl 2
Hello. For November and December, I've decided to create another character this time based on a concept by Mike Franchina. His character was similar to another I wanted to make, but I felt working from a picture would be good practice. I'm aiming for around a 80-100k triangle polycount.
So far, I've created two pieces to start, the chestplate and hammer:

I chose these two first because they were the least complex and easy to iterate upon. I'm trying to match the initial concept as closely as possible, but I've added details like extra straps and studs to make the final piece more believable. There are already a few baking/proportional corrections I need to address but I feel like I'm off to a solid start.

As always, I'm happy to hear feedback if anyone sees any glaring issues. Wish me luck!

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    off to a good start, that hair tho... gonna be a fun one 
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Here is a small update with a proportion blockout:

I'm working my way through all of the metallic parts of this character's armor, since those seem to be the most straightforward to create. After doing a little research, I've decided to make the pants/neck armor with a brigandine material. It's a little daunting, but I think I can use Substance Designer to create a good base material so I can avoid doing all of the studding/wear by hand.
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my first pass on the pants:

There's definitely a lot I can do to improve on this, but I think I'm off to a good start. Since the legs in the concept is a little vague I decided to use gambeson leggings as my main reference when translating them into 3D. I need make the gap where the two armor edges join smaller and rework the buckles to use less topology. I also experimented here with laying out the rivets procedurally, but for the final texture I'll probably just paint them by hand in Substance Painter. Let me know what you guys think!
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the head:

I fixed the riveting on my brigandine texture, and created a good skin material that I'll use on the body next. I still have to adjust the roughness/color values of a few things, but I think this is coming along well.
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a small display of my progress for November:

I'll need to adjust the color values for the final piece, but everything is starting to come together. I'm currently working on the main body, after which I only have the right-hand chest armor to complete. Once that's done, I'll re-layout all of the UVs for final texturing. Then, I'll move onto the hair & posing.
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a part of the model I'm struggling with:

I'm having a hard time matching my body sculpt to the concept, and I can already see a lot of issues with this first pass. The muscles are too over-defined, the hands are too large, and the overall sculpt is very 'blocky' and unnatural looking. I wanted to post this here while I work on fixing these issues in case there are more problems I'm not seeing. Any feedback or tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the completed model, with textures:

All that is left to do is the hair. Thankfully I'm still far under budget, so I have a lot of leeway polycount-wise to use as much topology as I need. I'm still on schedule to finish this by the end of December.

• wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update before I publish the final renders:

The amazon has been fully modeled, textured, and rigged! All that remains is figuring out how to best present the final model. Merry Christmas!
  • wHromek
    Offline / Send Message
    This project is done! Additional images can be found on my Artstation.

The final polycount ended up being only about 75k triangles, which is comfortably under my original budget. I learned a lot from doing this, and I can't wait to get started on my next project and push myself even further. See you all in the New Year!