Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mobster (Need Feedback)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
I never made a character before, let alone try to make a realistic one.
So I decided to make some clothing in Marvelous Designer 8 and go from there.

These are renders froms Blender, after I adjusted the exports from Marvelous Designer a bit so that they were more highpoly.

The human model is from MakeHuman, Thompson is downloaded aswell as the hat.

All I want is some feedback on the clothing;
Does it look weird?
What can I improve?

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    The folds and wind dynamics of the clothes look pretty good.
    I can't tell if the hat is supposed to be fabric or leather, it's reflectance is somewhere in-between. The ribbon around the hat could be a little glossier, a slightly different color, and maybe a different fabric texture than the rest of the hat.
    The top of the pants look a little odd without a belt or suspenders. The pants could also use some stitching and fabric texture. they feel a little plain.
    I think a tie and/or a vest would look good as well. (Those old-school gangsters were very fancy)
    The jacket appears to be a tweed type of a material. if so, I think the jacket should be thicker. Also I don't see holes for the buttons on the opposite side of his jacket.
    He seems to be missing his shoes, and socks. I don't imagine walking on cobblestone bare foot feels good.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    The button on the pants, the fly, and the shirt buttons usually all are in the same line. Maybe you could get away with just the shirt buttons and fly in the same line.
    His face looks alien, and slightly dead. Not sure if its just the eyes, or lacking in softer details. The gun also seems skinny or something. Granted I have never seen a real tommy gun, but something seems off with it.

Oh, ooops. You asked about the clothing. Ignore the gun and face comments :)
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    The folds and wind dynamics of the clothes look pretty good.
    I can't tell if the hat is supposed to be fabric or leather, it's reflectance is somewhere in-between. The ribbon around the hat could be a little glossier, a slightly different color, and maybe a different fabric texture than the rest of the hat.
    The top of the pants look a little odd without a belt or suspenders. The pants could also use some stitching and fabric texture. they feel a little plain.
    I think a tie and/or a vest would look good as well. (Those old-school gangsters were very fancy)
    The jacket appears to be a tweed type of a material. if so, I think the jacket should be thicker. Also I don't see holes for the buttons on the opposite side of his jacket.
    He seems to be missing his shoes, and socks. I don't imagine walking on cobblestone bare foot feels good.

Thanks for the feedback!

The pants and shirt are textured, but the denoiser of Blender smudges it all out sadly...
    Hat has a leather texture to it.

I totally forgot the holes on the opposite side of the jacket (OOPS)!
    I agree that the jacket should probably a lot thicker, twice the thickness perhaps even.

The no shoes, socks, tie and belt are primarily due to me not having had the time yet to model them ;)

I was working on modelling the Thompson now with a drummag (the one in the render is downloaded), it is finished now and just needs texturing.

• Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    Skinner3D said:
    The button on the pants, the fly, and the shirt buttons usually all are in the same line. Maybe you could get away with just the shirt buttons and fly in the same line.
    His face looks alien, and slightly dead. Not sure if its just the eyes, or lacking in softer details. The gun also seems skinny or something. Granted I have never seen a real tommy gun, but something seems off with it.

Oh, ooops. You asked about the clothing. Ignore the gun and face comments :)
    Thanks for the feedback!

The crotch zip, shirt buttons are all on the same line. When I tucked in the shirt in Marvelous it slightly pushed the shirt off to the side.
    But I don't really mind it, haha.

Character was made via MakeHuman, so there's almost no detail to it no, maybe I should've just kept him white for the sake of the renders being more focussed on the clothing?

As of the gun it was downloaded and I made it roughly the size of the actual gun.
    I remodelled the entire gun with lots of reference materials, you can see it on the reply above here.

Again thanks for the feedback, but yeah I was looking more for feedback on the clothing :P

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    I've used stock makehuman models for base models and they have turned out significantly better. Maybe you need to update to the newest version? I know the old version was really rough. White or black or a little transparent helps take the focus away
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    Skinner3D said:
    I've used stock makehuman models for base models and they have turned out significantly better. Maybe you need to update to the newest version? I know the old version was really rough. White or black or a little transparent helps take the focus away

I'm using a relatively new version, but didn't apply the normal map to it though.
    I know they can look great esp. when modifying the models/textures in Substance Painter.

But this project is more focussed on clothing than the human model itself ;)
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    I just finished texturing my Thompson in Substance Painter.
    Here are some Renders from Substance Painter IRAY;