Home Technical Talk

Anyone using AMD GPUs for 3D

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if any of you have some experience using AMD (pro/consumer) cards for rendering. I am running a 2080 ti right now because a Titan was just not fitting my (Hobby) budget. 

While the 2080 TI is great, I am getting to a point where 11gb VRAM is not cutting it anymore. I highly believe that 16 gb VRAM will get me by another two years. 

I have never had an AMD card, and I am not really into the technical aspects of open CL vs Cuda and dont know how hardware acceleration plays into performance. 

So the decision stands between AMD (pro or) and NVIDIA's top end consumer cards. While I am not a 3D professional, my time is limited. However if its not a 20% difference between opencl and cuda I rather put the saved money into my vaccation.

Hope someone can shed some light on that matter

Wish you all the best.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I would say if you dont need any GPU renderer its save to work with AMD cards.
    Redshift is in apha with AMD support. So even there is hope.

But Arnold, Renderman XPU and Vray dont get AMD support in the near future.

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    If you don't use gpu renderers, an AMD videocard is more than enough.

But i suppose you use them, 11GB is indeed not enough. The RTX 3090 with its 24GB is a good option, but quite expensive for what it offers.
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    I Use RX 5700 XT and  I would not recommend it if you are using UE4 or Unity. I'm having a lot of trouble with both engines with my GPU, causing crashes (radeonwatt restarted due to an issue, never changed my Watt or Voltage). Also, I notice i have more issues in 3ds max views.

If you are going to render in UE4 (Ray tracing) stay with 2080 TI untill, new 6000 series releases.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've not tried the last generation but stability in apps like substance was shitty on the ones before that.

historically the drivers are not particularly robust and obviously you lose cuda which most you compute apps like 

Honestly I'd just wait and see what turns up over the next year or so. There'll be higher capacity ampere cards coming soon enough I'm sure and there's always the 3090 if it doesn't happen.

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Having bought an AMD last year, I have come to regret the lack of cuda more than a couple of times, and yes some viewport errors in Max I haven't had with previous nvidia cards. Will likely get a nvidia again soonish.