Home Technical Talk

Game asset workflow suggestions

Hi, I've recently started a project with the aim of creating my first game ready environment, for my portfolio. The scene consists of the classic lone house in the forest, where the house is an external model only with some small assets round about to give it more life.

My question is to do with the asset workflow of a one-off house. I often see tutorials about game assets and they are generally for small assets with single objects, or house tutorials which are all generally modular. 

I would like to know if anyone has a suggested workflow, and approach to modelling such an asset, as it will be about 900x500x500cm, and have beams and windows etc. I have so far tried it with the walls and roof separate, while trying to sculpt and bake 2 separate roof parts together and then join them in the end, but I feel like this is definitely not the most efficient workflow, and won't give me good enough results. My workflow so far has been mid poly in max > zbrush > low poly in max > substance painter > unreal, but its the 'what models to separate and what to bulk together' that i am struggling with

If anyone has had previous experience with this type of thing, or could give me some hints or suggestions to push me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful, and I hope this isn't a daft question and isn't too hard to understand. 

Heres an image of my blockout, for a bit more context as to what I'm working with, thanks in advance for any replies :)

Replies