Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - painting "normal" above "normal"

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
When projecting a normal map above a normal map can I fully replace the below normal with the top normal map (all on the same layer) ?
I used a cross-normal-map in the example, I thought when I draw the first cross, then paint over a second cross, the second cross will fully replace the first cross...
but this is not the case, is that expected? How can I fully replace the first one? I find that annoying when I want to "project" normals onto a mesh but cannot replace previous strokes...

This is the example:
https://i.gyazo.com/f0c9ec55ebc30eb871a27539a6e24e14.gif

Replies

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
    also setting the "Texture Set Settings" to "Normal Mixing: Replace" does not work...
    can this even work what i am expecting?
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Replace works on a per layer basis, if you're painting the normal stamp over another in the same layer it will mix

If it behaves differently from that it's broken
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth

Is there no way to do what the OP is asking for with normal maps in projection painting, ie use projection painting with a normal map and have a new stroke overwrite the previous strokes normal instead of blending?

I've been using height maps or converting normal maps to height maps to get normal map projection painting to overwrite previous strokes,