Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Datsun 710 Violet

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ChrisFraser polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone,

So, I've started working on this car model. Plan is to model it in 3ds max and texture in painter. Wanted to try something a bit harder to model here so picked this cool old Datsun I saw online from the 70's. This is the first car I've ever modeled so I'm kind of just winging it after watching a few low grade videos and looking at other car meshes online. I can't seem to find a good car tutorial anywhere so if anyone knows of any then any link would be appreciated, hopefully done in 3ds max, willing to pay for a tutorial. On top of this, the drawings I found for the car aren't great. That said, I do have lots of other reference.

Heres the car I'm trying to model

And here's where I'm at with the model.

Been pretty slow moving so far. Just wondering if I should be doing it even more low poly than I am at this point? Or am I approaching it correctly?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    It depends on what you are doing this for. I know you said just to learn, and for that purpose I think you are on the right track. I wouldn't go lower at this point because it becomes difficult to subdivide it into smoother curves. Some programs make it easy and some don't.
    As for a tutorial. Trying looking for ones that aren't in the software you are currently using. Those will at least give you a process to try, even if all the buttons and tools are completely different. I have found basic processes translate pretty well across platforms.
    You would go lower poly if it was for a game and texture was the highest priority.
    The extruding out method that you are doing works quite well and gives you the benefit of having geometry right where you want it. Another method just for your later knowledge is to use bezier/spline curves and loft/patch between them. This gives you really smooth transitions between shapes, but doesn't necessarily put geometry where you want it for detail work.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Intuitive insights for subd modeling cars in Max

At a glance it's obvious you've put in some prior research which is a key element when approaching this type of object for the first time.

So just a few additional points I think worth mentioning:

• I'd suggest modeling the entire mesh as one object, to begin with
    • Use as few vertices or polys as possible when initially blocking out your model, regardless of the intended goal
    • Try to maintain average / uniform spacing between edges
    • Recommend only begin applying detail once an applicable base mesh is defined eg: trim, panel cuts, creased regions...etc  

Side note - Smoothing groups is also a useful feature in Max, to enable a smooth 'pre-view' without subdividing throughout the modeling process.
  • ChrisFraser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys, thats helpful. 

Heres where I'm at. Its pretty slow going so far but I'm coming along. I'm starting to feel like I shot myself in the foot by picking a car with such bad reference drawings. I do have lots of other reference pics but the actual reference drawings aren't great, especially the front one which is making things a bit difficult.

• ChrisFraser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm getting pretty close on the body of this thing. Not sure if the next step is to start cutting out windows or start on the lights and bumpers and stuff like that?

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    - I think you need to block in the wheel hub, break lights, wheels, etc, before adding more geo.
    - Don't be afraid to delete useless edges temporarily and cut them in later when trying to clean up.
    - I would avoid posting pictures at this stage without the wireframe. Also, work with a phong material, it helps you to find pinching more.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Good progress, so far.

Though noticeably roof, hood and more pronounced for the front side quarter panel alongside to a lesser extent side door region as well. Do seem overall to be a little bit flat so perhaps by adding an extra edgeloop or two, then try using the constraint tool with symmetry turned on plus bare minimum manual adjusting to form a slight curvature, as seen on your refs.

Also there's minor surface creasing on the rear side quarter panel, again via constraint tool, slide an edge of the narrow poly strip so that it has the same uniform spacing, as adjacent faces which should resolve the issue.         
  • ChrisFraser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll do my best to try to use your advice as I move forward.