Home Career & Education

Question about pricing

gep5
node
Offline / Send Message
gep5 node
I've been considering commissioning a head sculpt of a celebrity for a while, but I'm unsure.

I really liked the Zoe Salanda head sculpt I found on artstation and I was wondering how much a textured sculpt of similar quality should be. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5XnErw

Ideally, I would like the textures to be 2048 or 4096 (2048 would be fine, I might opt for 4096 textures depending on the price), have a good quality hair mesh (I believe the hair in this sculpt was created with Maya's Xgen) and have eye, lashes, brows and a good quality teeth/mouth mesh so I can rig the piece myself.

At this stage, I'm merely curious about pricing. If I do commission a piece it wouldn't be for a while.

If anyone wants me to clarify the details in this post, please let me know.

Thank you to anyone who can provide feedback/help with this.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

Someone posted this from PC idk if they own it, if they want it removed i will.  I like to use this now as well, its purr-fect.

A head is pretty fast depending on the artist you pick and what they know, your 2019 thread kind of went down the path of information you are seeking, this is a bit similar.  
    With the artist you linked ask him what that would be, you also need to probably seek out a seperate artist for the rig/skin/and control system you are after and i'd even recommend that because they specialize in that.  If the artist you pick actually is good at all the things you require then I would be a amazed.  Tbh, with all the hype around your desires i'd love to see the final product you purchased and if the artist wants to remain [private] that works for me, i want to see the final product though and if you could say the price you paid that it would be beneficial to everyone here for future reference.

Best of luck with it, hope others chime in but that thread covers it.
  • gep5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gep5 node
    Thanks for the advice 😊

Regarding the model from the 2019 thread I mentioned, I unfortunately have not had it made yet as my ambition exceeded my financial limits. 

I'll be sure to post here if this changes.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Depending on what you want to use such an asset for there may be a rights issue when going with a celebrity likeness.

Anyway, a head indeed shouldn't take too long for somebody skilled at this but a 'good quality hair mesh' - if that's intended to be engine friendly hair cards then it'll be weeks of work. That's several times the cost of a head easily and probably requires finding another artist to do it.

• gep5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gep5 node
    The head would just be for my own personal use, I wanted to do some blender rendering. 

So if I went with no hair, but still had eyebrow and eyelash cards, would that be more affordable? If I also cut my texture maps down to just 2k diffuse and bump maps,  would that help. 
  • gep5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gep5 node
    So, my financial circumstances now mean this project is on hold for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime, on an unrelated matter, I'm having someone I know port Samantha Maxis from Black Ops Cold War. If I supplied a textured head mesh to work with, I was wondering how much it would be to re-create her hair as it is seen in-game here.

I'm aware hair cards would be expensive as previous posts suggested, so I'm just curious about a ballpark figure. To clarify, this project would just be the re-creation of the hair mesh as closely to the supplied pictures as possible and then texturing it.