Home Technical Talk

Anyone tried to fake IP to buy maya/3Ds Max indie?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
slovik polycounter lvl 11
Greetings. I was wondering if there’s anyone here tried to fake IP to buy 3Ds Max or Maya indie versions? They’re at much more reasonable price for us as freelancers at only $250, but unfortunately unobtainable in certain countries including mine. And also, if we can fake IP to buy it can we still use it legally? How can they support buyers who’re not in the supported countries? Thanks guys

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Don't do that. You'd be breaking their terms which could easily result in them invalidating your license at some point.
  • slovik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slovik polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm guess I’ll have to wait then.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Get into blender in the mean-time i hear its catching on. (i use max not to rub it in just not a usual supporter of blender since the u.i. makes me want to break all the things.)
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Do anyone understand  conditions of the Autodesk Indie license ?     Making $100k  a year on your own is understandable one.     But what about a project  valuing 100k?       They mean your have to ask your customers /clients  how much their game doing.     if you are an indie business?         And what that "project value" means ?  Sales ?   Good lack getting answer from your clients  , ha-ha.
  • Randallized
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blenders current workflow is very similar to Maya. Unfortunately faking your info to buy something you can't legally buy is not a much better idea than straight piracy- ie always a bad idea. You could try contacting autodesk support to see if they will make some kind of arrangement but I wouldn't hold your breath on that.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    gnoop said:
    Do anyone understand  conditions of the Autodesk Indie license ?     Making $100k  a year on your own is understandable one.     But what about a project  valuing 100k?       They mean your have to ask your customers /clients  how much their game doing.     if you are an indie business?         And what that "project value" means ?  Sales ?   Good lack getting answer from your clients  , ha-ha.

I think they just want to avoid companies putting artists as freelance contractors so they can avoid paying the full license for them, even if all the artists are working on a multi-million dollar project. So if you're just a regular freelancer that only does assets  for a company and is not paid for his time (160 hours per month) you're fine. In this case, the "project" is not the game you're working on but all of the assets you'll be doing.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    huffer said:
    .So if you're just a regular freelancer that only does assets  for a company and is not paid for his time (160 hours per month) you're fine. In this case, the "project" is not the game you're working on but all of the assets you'll be doing.
    In evry contract  you may ever get nowadays there would be  something saying "independent contractor"   "not employee"   "no benefits" etc.    In my country you actually have to register  as  a special business entity or "self-employed"  to enter such kind of contracts  and pay your state for medical insurance and  taxes for yourself  or for your own employees.     

So I mean there is no regular or irregular freelancer .   If you under a contract  you  are independent business entity by it means  typically.
    Still Autodesk  made it absolutely  uncertain what did they mean with  "project",  "value"  etc .     A  game?   Which may be a lasting thing  for decades as with most of online games .     A content ordered withing a  single contract?   Within a series of contracts  for same game?          Your own small  releases at ApStore only ?      
      Or just every weapon  or  location you modelling and call a "project" ?

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Autodesk were pretty clear iirc.

If you are contracted to provide a specific asset or number of assets at a specific cost then you're ok 

If you are contracted to work for a period of time you're not
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    poopipe said:
    Autodesk were pretty clear iirc.
    If you are contracted to work for a period of time you're not

Well, usually it's both  a period of time for the job to be done   and specific cost  for a  job you have been ordered.   A racing track or a game location for example.    Sometimes it's R&D projects  with no strict deadline or exact number of assets     still the contract is usually having the time frame and  full sum is gonna be paid only if your customer accepts the result.     it's no way a granted salary by definition.

Sometimes  you may have been a sub-contractor for  company being a contractor itself  to  another one having intellectual properties rights  So whose project you are working for in such case?

poopipe   If you have some links to discussions regarding the subject , Autodesk  published support cases or something  share a link please.       For me they answered twice just  same  cryptic vague phrase for my exact questions   mentioning also they are not giving you any legal  advises    he he :)