Home Technical Talk

what is the poly limit for a hero asset? (weapon)

node
Offline / Send Message
crad node
I am currently in my retopo stage and I am curious to know how high I can mke the low? This will be portfolio piece so I want to make the details stand out.

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Don't worry about actual "polygon limits", but don't be reckless with your geometry either. Especially because this is portfolio. If you're reasonable with it, just make your geometry have nice fidelity. If you've got sections in your model that are chunky, don't fret to add a few more sections/loops just to make them look nice and smooth. Just enough geometry so that your elements, cylinders for example, don't look faceted/chunky for example.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Flo posted some wire shots here. A hero wapon can go up to 100k in the showroom. Just make a clean mesh and you are fine.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8l8LyE
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Granted that's with interiors, but yeah, hero weapons (and vehicles) can be treated like characters in terms of material/geo fidelity :smile:

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    crad said:
    I am currently in my retopo stage and I am curious to know how high I can mke the low? This will be portfolio piece so I want to make the details stand out.
    In my opinion assuming 'weapon' is a rifle?! tri count can basically range between 10 - 20k or higher for a low poly/proxy version, either portfolio still or in engine but mostly just boils down too an envisioned end goal. Also if memory serves, this Tim Bergholz tute I attempted last year came in at 19k though to be clear fell well short when compared with his polished result : /