Home General Discussion

What are your thoughts on Reallusion Character Creator?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
What are your thoughts on Reallusion Character Creator?

I find it sounds/looks actually good from what I have seen on youtube.

It provides you with quaded base mesh (game/ar/optimized),
fully-rigged, UV and material merging,
comes with ready Eyes, Tear Line, Teeths, skin shaders (based on unreals tutorial ( as they say on the website) ^^),
you can push/pull (morph) anatomy facial stuff to align the base more to your goal
GOZ to/from ZBrush
export/import from/to Substance Painter
oneclick export to unreal/unity

it is like a SINGLE container that holds all together,
regardless where you create/edit/update your mesh, in the end it comes back into CC to stay organized....

You can buy plugins like SKinGen Pro, but you don't have to 

Well, that is what i have seen/read,
I am reeeeeallly tempted to buy that stuff...

What are your thoughts on Reallusion Character Creator?

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    While it does look cool from the point of view of some random dude sitting in his bedroom wanting to make a game... The reality is that "one suite for all needs" software like this is rarely good enough for any high-end studio's particular needs.

I mean, look at how much Unreal Engine, or Unity, or even Lumberyard need to be modified by licensees to fit their needs.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

If not, boy we are getting closer to a.i. just coming on in and doing it all, what's the point? I am sure they are trying to make something to f-ck us all in the A-- since everything else is trying to get automated,  (Then people think we all are really just going to be allowed to lay around, this cv nineteen thing is not for nothing.)

Anyway, 
    sure its neat for say, rendered images for something other than movies and games, but i am sure (as i was told years ago) people used poser models back in the day and probably still do while some of us actually learned how to do things and get pushed aside for a "faster production time-frame".  Eh if i didn't put 20+ years into this already and wanted a short-cut there it is, who needs to do things the "right way", am i right? such is the world i guess.

That "challenge", for this product didn't take off too well over on Artstation so i think that alone speaks volumes to how other "Artists" feel about this and products like it.  Better to go to say twitter or instagram for promotional material regarding apps like this for the general public.  People wanting to learn how to do things properly and be proud of accomplishing a goal i think have no interest in these applications, no matter how "helpful" or at least the ones with some morals to their existence.  (idk who does or doesn't use these to get things done so exposing yourself was your choice.)
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I would agree with David.  It seems like a cool toy but not something I would use in production.  I'm not using it for any personal art I ever do.  It feels like a newer, shinier version of Daz.  Maybe it will fill some concept art needs like Daz but I don't think it's going to see much use from character artists.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for the replies!
    I never wanted to say that it will fully replace all softwares or i actually use it.
    I feel a little bit attacked with your last words david :/ 
    I feel your anger but dont let it out on me :)
    i am a beginner and i know all the hassle/problems solving myself. starting from nothing, sculpting, retopo, uving, baking, texturing, iterstions, haircards cloth, shaders :-D
     i just wanted to say that it sounds nice that there may be a software to solve multiple stuff. So no need to be mean because i "exposed" myself cause i said that ther may be a software which helps to fasten up the workflow. (did old character artist also feel like that while Marvelous Designer was on the screen?) 
    Anyway, while this topic is still relevant, are there maybe other softwares which will "organize" a project, like a pipeline-container? :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Thanks for putting this up. Nice to see new apps like this. There seem to be alot of tools to help solve character creation lately, like zBrush's split screen 'trace over' tool for instance. I think these sort of solutions are great depending on what you need. This product would be fine for a Twinmotion thing, possibly even better.

Daz, as mentioned above, is a great starting point. I think that productions that are willing to spend want more expression from their art team. This looks like a super solution for smaller endeavours, but not really a contender for work like Stahlberg's or Madureira's (to name a few). This really looks like a tool for archiviz and previz.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I feel a little bit attacked with your last words david :/ 
    "exposed" myself 
    I have a tough love attitude, i mean well, sry if it came across that way, it was directed at the product (non-sentient being, just mad it makes it faster than me.)
    Took it as you stated it that you are just curious about it, i didn't mean you use this to get "ahead", just that those that do i feel are limiting themselves.  (You all can use it all you want and people do, they make statements like well i can create characters faster and i already know all the placements for the body and its just repetition i am skipping, things like this to justify it and its fine, i guess in production you already paid for it so i guess why not, portfolio though i feel is a different story.)

My reasoning about this is as follows, when i am older off the pc, will i be able to ceate things in detail if i create characters with alternative programs that do all the leg work for me? without the knowledge of  correct anatomical structure locations and proper curvatures they will not appear accurate i do not think. (it doesnt stop people just if you pride yourself on creating near perfect sculptures it will bother you. (our own worst critics) ).
    I was being silly with the img that this was an AD, i found it comical, good to laugh every now and then, anyway.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    This software is quite old [this is just the newest version] I first found about it several years ago by some promo video sended to me by a friend of mine I think makehuman came approximately at the same time which is similar thing but free I first heard of iclose with presentation of their city generator probably 10 years ago so they been involve with automation for quite a while
    OP if you are or plan to be character artist what are you going to use this program for ? as it spit ready characters what will left for you to do ?
    Probably useful for riggers, concept artists , previs , cloth designers and all sort ppl that have never made character in their life
    Probably everyone here had played at lease one game that havs some sort character editor[they called it customization now a days ] build inside the game so as character artist is more like to build one the to use it :) 

"Anyway, while this topic is still relevant, are there maybe other softwares which will "organize" a project, like a pipeline-container? "
    :: check this thing GDC 2015: Michael Pavlovich - "Blurring Separation Between Concept and Production  he talk about in house tool but i am not aware of something similar that is commercially available

• tahakitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    I'm interested in the character creation for creating base meshes to work from.  I'll probably try it out just for that.  I don't know about studios using it for the entire pipeline though. It looks promising but they need to work with a big studio to develop it more like substance and quixel did.  I won't say this program is going to go away since people said the same thing about substance and quixel early on, but they need a big backer in the game industry when it comes to a game and studio to show it off if they want to survive. Substance had Naughty Dog and Quixel had Epic games and several movie studios.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I can say that I blew some amount of money I'd rather not think about on the full package two or three years back, and I literally never touch it....
    It's a nightmare to export your models for something like UE4. I was never actually able to get that to work effectively. And the benefits to an artist are minor, since you have to make everything yourself anyway, and whatever time you save re-using clothes and such is lost in the process of trying to tune everything to a form usable by the software in the first place, and then trying to get it back out.
    I think it's just a tool for people with more money than skill to buy prefab parts and bash them together.
    Also, last I knew all the prefab parts available on their storefront had pretty questionable quality.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The garbage quality of their stylized characters is comforting to me, heheh