Home Career & Education

Character Art Test Question

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SDimitrius polycounter lvl 14
I was recently contacted, randomly (didn't apply to the position), through LinkedIn to see if I was interested in a character art position at a relatively new company.

I told them I was interested, and had a phone call shortly after to chat briefly about the opening. Towards the end of the call they asked if I would be interested enough to take an art test. They told me it should take a week, but that they are flexible and understand if I'd need more time. I said, "yes" and the art test brief was sent over.

The art test requests that I sculpt/model a full, albeit simple, character (mobile specs), texture, rig, and create a brief animation. All within a week, and asking basically for all the files. Also, worth adding this isn't paid.

I tried to research the company as much as I could, and it seems that the team behind it is well versed and has an established history in the industry. 

My question is:

1. Is this a reasonable timeline and scope for an art test? 

Cheers!

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    That sounds pretty ridiculous to me.  I'm not sure what your current employment status is but I'd also be annoyed AF that they contacted me only to ask me to take a test!  No thanks.  Again, not sure what the specs are for that test but a week to do a whole character is asinine.  Forget about rigging and animation.  I would not agree to do that test unless it's your dream job/company and you are dying to leave your current gig.
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply @slosh . Appreciate the guidance

That was my initial reaction as well... Just feels pretty ridiculous to squeeze all that they were asking for in a week, but I let my excitement get the better of me and agreed to it.

The specs are 25k tris and 1 single 2048 diffuse with baked lighting. Animation guidelines were very general and open ended, I'm assuming around 5 seconds worth. The character is stylized similar to that of Fortnite etc.

I'm thinking I may continue with the test, but now feel much more comfortable spending whatever time I deem worthy. I also have a slight worry that since they're asking for so much to be delivered, they'll just take the free work and run. Do you think it'd be worth asking for some compensation now after the fact?

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    It can't hurt I suppose.  Just don't get your hopes up.    
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I doubt you will get any compensation. However, feel free to ask specific questions and raise concerns. It's better to communicate and be honest then rush something out because you are afraid of disappointing them. You would be surprised by how well studios respond to that.
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neilberard Thanks for the advice and perspective!

I've continued with the test and let them know that I'll be needing more time. Also, tried to let them know (in the nicest way possible) that 1 week for a fully textured character let alone rigging, animation, and my normal work was extremely ambitious.
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to give an update on this for those interested... After finishing the art test and handing over the files, I waited a week or so with no response from the studio. So, I sent them an email to which they replied saying that they decided to move forward with another candidate.

I asked if they had any notes for me on what they were looking for that they didn't find in my art test. Basically said the character came out nice but didn't match their concept 1:1 (more on this), and they wanted more polish in the animation (understandably so, since this is not my specialty at all, which I told them).

All fine and well, and definitely appreciate them responding with their notes, but the one thing that was frustrating was not sticking to their concept exactly. In the test prompt they provided a concept of the character  they wanted (think Disney Infinity), but also said they wanted the finished product to be in the style of the characters from Tennis Clash, and provided a reference image of one of those characters. So, I leaned more in the direction of Tennis Clash than their concept. 

In hindsight, I should've ran it by them and clarified.
  • Maned_Wolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maned_Wolf polycounter lvl 3
    This is the ugly side of the recruitment process within this industry, unfortunately. I'm not a 3D aritst (I'm concept) but I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your sculpt, it's just that there's almost always someone that does a little better than you. It's an abuse of the unpaid art test policy. It takes little effort on their part to issue these tests so they tend to sample a large number of candidates to participate. It is my opinion that if any studio is serious about your application they should be willing to compensate you for your efforts.
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input @Maned_Wolf ... Totally makes sense and I think the more of these negative recruitment/art test experiences I have, the stronger my opinions get. I think it's a great point that if said studio is truly interested in me for a position they should be willing to compensate me for the art test, and will most definitely be asking that before taking any future tests.
  • Bobby_the_Goblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey, just to let you know, I think the character's really cool. You should be proud you finished it in such a short timeframe (animation included). :)

• Maned_Wolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maned_Wolf polycounter lvl 3
    @SDimitrius
    No problem at all. It's unfortunate that applicants have no leverage in this situation but you may at least be able to gauge by their reaction to you asking for compensation if the studio is even one you want to work for in the first place. For example if they seem insulted by the notion of payed art test then it's probably best to stay clear away from said studio.
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Bobby_the_Goblin , really appreciate the kind words! I've seen other people posting their art test products before and have found seeing what people can achieve in certain timelines useful. So, I figured I'd share mine if others did as well :)

@Maned_Wolf I couldn't agree with you more.  From the other art test posts I've been reading in the forums, and from the responses here, I'm realizing how easily these studios can take advantage of that leverage.

I definitely feel more confident now (at least) asking for compensation for future art tests, being able to gauge their response, and potentially rejecting the test. I realize though that a lot of times this is a convenience of financial stability, and I would likely change my tune if I were in desperate need of money/job. At least until my skills are more widely appreciated and I become a more experienced artist that is.
  • SDimitrius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to update this thread as this story unfolded far past what I originally thought it would.

Fast forward a few weeks after getting the rejection email, to another email from the same studio saying they re-evaluated their art style and wanted to see if I was open to completing another PAID art test. This second art test was to finish a new character and another smaller asset in about 2 weeks time, for $1500.  The studio also added that this paid "test" would really be to see how I fit and worked with the team, so that if all goes well they would bring me on as a contractor.

Skip forward another 2 weeks or so and they were happy with the results of my work and the communication throughout (compared to the first test, which had no back and forth).

Happy to say that now I've been working with them for the last few months and it's been great. My biggest takeaway from this whole experience is to always be professional regardless of failed tests or not. You never know which direction things can go... in my case going from a failed test, to a second shot, and eventually a contract.

Also, I think it's worth noting that $1500 seems a little low for a full character and second asset, but in that moment it felt like I was getting paid for a chance to be paid, if that makes sense. So I was happy to take the gamble. And once they agreed to take me on I was able to negotiate my rate to something much more sustainable.
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Glad to hear it worked out.