Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1842 percussion pistol [feedback appreciated]

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Semperfoo polycounter lvl 2
Hello guys! I finished this model today. This is the first firearm I have modelled and I'm a bit "lost". The overall look is ok, but I would be thankful if someone wanna point were it could be better. I'll post some renders bellow, and link the model page on my portfolio too.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ELEB3N

Side view:

The one bottom is a real model of this pistol. I also found a manual with some hand drawn views, which I used as reference.

Another main reference was this video from Skallagrim youtube channel. I found no real life image of the nipple, this video save my life!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbR8XLeY1Q

That's it! Thank you in advance!

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    My personal preference, is to add 'old world patina' (weathering) such as displayed in your linked YT vid. Otherwise, I'll agree not bad as a first attempt.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I would work a bit on the material definition. Its not bad by no means but that's the part that needs more improvement imo.
    The iron (i'm guessing it would be iron) part of the gun looks more like really old aluminium. The roughness on it is almost uniform and very procedural.
    The wood looks a lot like the reference but its kinda boring. Dont be afraid to stray a bit from the ref in order to make a material more interesting. There are some tutorials out there on gun materials (including wood) and even some free substances that can be studied. Also try to find some other references of old wood guns and try to mimic that as close as possible. Maybe close ups but definetly higher resolution images.
    The bolts and screws are a bit too perfect, like they were machine made. I would try to add some imperfections to them.
    There are some modeling differences from the ref but for a first try i think thats ok.
  • Semperfoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Semperfoo polycounter lvl 2
    sacboi said:
    My personal preference, is to add 'old world patina' (weathering) such as displayed in your linked YT vid. Otherwise, I'll agree not bad as a first attempt.
    OMG! That's precisely the effect I tryed to add, but I really didn't knew what I should term search for. Thank you sacboi!

teodar23 said:
    I would work a bit on the material definition. Its not bad by no means but that's the part that needs more improvement imo.
    The iron (i'm guessing it would be iron) part of the gun looks more like really old aluminium. The roughness on it is almost uniform and very procedural.
    The wood looks a lot like the reference but its kinda boring. Dont be afraid to stray a bit from the ref in order to make a material more interesting. There are some tutorials out there on gun materials (including wood) and even some free substances that can be studied. Also try to find some other references of old wood guns and try to mimic that as close as possible. Maybe close ups but definetly higher resolution images.
    The bolts and screws are a bit too perfect, like they were machine made. I would try to add some imperfections to them.
    There are some modeling differences from the ref but for a first try i think thats ok.
    Thank you so much for being so specific, teodar23. I'll surely try that next time.