Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

KaBoom: stylized canon Borderlands style

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
simonBreumier greentooth
Hi all :)
I've been working on a canon that can propel shot by high pressured gas release, with a high aiming accuracy during my PhD and I thought it would be fun to caricature it a bit..

I took this occasion to start working on Borderlands style texturing because the real canon required so much tweaking to work, that I wanted to represent how... handmade it was in the end.
So I started making simple objects like metal panels or toolboxes (following this thread: https://polycount.com/discussion/135111/the-borderlands-workflow). Once I felt more or less confortable with the workflow, I jumped right into the blockout (maybe too fast though) and texturing and ended up with this:

Here's a render of the toolbox used to hold the canon. It's the object I spent most of my time on to get the process right:

As I it ended up better than I thought, I figured I should maybe try to work a bit more on it and showcase it to put it in my portfolio.
But I still feel like something's missing to make it perfect and cannot really figure out what.
What do you think :) ?

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Just a quick comparison between what you'd generated so far and linked workflow, I'd probably recommend following your own advice plus think about adding something unique to the project which perhaps is the missing element you're searching for?!