Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback on my latest asset - a neon sign for a Diner

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
turbovulture polycounter lvl 2
Hi there,

I recently finished modelling a texturing an asset for a small project i am working on and I would like to ask for some feedback so I can improve my process for the next part of the project.

I am modelling the sign for a mid-century American diner scene. I tried to keep the geometry pretty simple but I had to add a few random supporting edges along the top of the model as the textures were a bit borked in Marmoset after baking them in Substance Painter (I think this was because Marmoset was triangulating the mesh and having the main face of the sign as a single plane was causing an issue).

The texture bakes in Substance painter do not look right to me, even though the UV unwrap in Blender seemed to be ok.

I have attached the concept art, the final marmoset render here as well as the wireframe, albedo map and UVs.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can give me on any part of the process.

Original Concept

Toolbag  Render

Wireframes

Albedo Map

UVs

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I think you need to optimize some areas a bit more:

There are a bit too many polys and those rounded corners have an extra vertex.
    The UV has a lot of wasted space and you can easily fix that by straightening those thin strips of polys. If thats not an option then split them at various points in order to make a tighter UV packing. In fact it would be better if you could unwrap the whole side with the border and the interior strip if you know what i mean.
  • turbovulture
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turbovulture polycounter lvl 2
    Hi thanks for the feedback. I understand what you mean about unwrapping the whole side with the border. I considered this at first but then realised I would have to add a lot of extra seams to relieve the stretching. I will give it a shot though.

I also get what you mean about the extra polys in the curves across the top of the model.

For the rounded corners you hightlighted, do you mean that I should merge the vertex at the base of the corner bevel tris with the vertex at the inner corner? So sort of slide the triangles a little more across the face so they join at the inner corner? I think this is maybe what you mean.

Thanks very much for the feedback, it was helpful :)